Playing with Forces

• Thread starter TheTreeSpyder
  • Start date
  • Replies 19
  • Views 2K
T

TheTreeSpyder

To understand rigging and climbing on rope, i think it is best to understand the forces in rope. Also, the same science will hold true within the microcosm of a knot, commanding it's properties.

To live on rope, dependent on it for support, rigging , pulling, knotting, tie down etc. all day, everyday; one needs to understand and obey it rules to command it!

Use it in chains of systems, can give successive multiples of either maximizing force or distance as you like.

With the strategy in this pic, a climber can help pretension rigging lines more, climb his rope easier. Can also be more self sufficient on pretensioning and rigging down more alone, before needing full crew in kill zone. Better line tension can help reduce drop impact on rope, steer better sideways, offer more overhead clearance to obstacles etc.; all for taking the 'slop' out of a system/ tightening it up.

Now I KNOW I need new glasses. I caught the thread title as "Playing with feces". :dur:

How ya been Kenny?

Great diagram, Kenny! ... took a little work to figure it out but WHAT A WONDERFUL TIP ... gonna put that to good use >> THANKS! :D

Oh my God, they killed Kenny! You bastards! Oh wait.

Hi kenny, good to read you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanx All!

Erik, perhaps that is more of a Freudian Slip, than need fer glasses????::O

In using this to pretension/ help pretension line to limb; can also then use limb itself to leverage, by going further out on limb with hand and lifting up. If this lifts up even a little at hitch position, you are getting even more tension, because of the leveraged length of the limb!

But, then, can get even more after that part is set, by going up climbing line sum, then once again pull on rig, but this time higher than hitch point, to get more stretch out of rope between lift point and hitch point.

Then of course can do more of each by impacting bodyweight and hand lift into situation, using leg lift, instead of arm lift etc.

some times i would stand slightly below rigged limb on control side of rig, and just lift small limb with shoulder under it, and do leg lift on control side suddenly for 2xLeg Lift + bodyweight. Then can move to bending lines etc. as you sweat more out of rope stretch from above limb.

i also did this to get 360# guy that froze up out of tree, then he got foot caught in crotch when trying to grab at me like drowning man...

Essentially we are '2 handing' this rig, to change add forces.

By placing, 3:1 to pull on rig, but anchoring the 'bottom' of 3:1 to scale or just above, we have 8:1 on scale. By '2 Handing' and hanging body weight on the 3:1 (like is shown in picture for 1:1), that we have the top of 3:1 pull on rig and bottom on scale/load; we have 12 x effort + 5x Bodyweight. Of course dropping suddenly 'off' climbing line on to rig line and snatch pull point hard, gives much more! Just, must then 'capture' that line tension 'purchase' to use while cutting etc.

MB, don't worry your girl is okay!

ps. - In case y'all missed it in other forum:MyTreeLessons.Com/ks/basic_Halfs.swf

Also, really like how they give away these page flip books now (with terms but free, even for biz use):MyTreeLessons.Com/ks/mz/lines_of_force.swf. Can have pix, documents, posts etc. collected.

Freudian slip of what? Nice to see you back posting again, Kenny. That is a cool drawing that you linked to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry, Space bar not werking on computer last night.

Squish!

Does Zero Posters will be culled, mean know won?

I cull em every sunday. Not banned, just deleted. The member count would be astronomical if I'd never done that.

Back