Playing with a 100 tone crane

climbernz

TreeHouser
Long over due for a video , here you go guys .
A little bit of crane action from before the christmas holidays ......
Happy new year treehousers
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZLhbPRjdBQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Speaking of choker types, we've talked in other threads about the danger of large, straight tulip sections slipping completely out of their bark skin during spring time removals when the sap is running and nylon straps were being used for the chokers. Ive always felt wire chokers were the answer cuz they bite into the bark unlike a nylon strap. Apparently not, according to my crane guy. They were using his 100t with 2 jibs on to remove a dead tulip, they choked the approx 4k lbs trunk and it slipped out of the bark as it was being picked. Must have been ugly. So now I know notches have to be cut for the choker if there are no knots etc to keep the log from slipping.

But I'm wondering if chains might bite better than steel wire chokers and thus be safer or would notches still be called for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys , I appreciate the feedback.
@cory I do think that is a big plus for chains , I don't have much experience using slings but in my limited experience I do prefer chains ....... they can be a bit of a pain when you are using big ones in the winter but I've got a pretty good ritual of how i set and adjust them .
normally I have four chains and only use two, unless there is going be to much movement and in that case I will use a bull rope clipped into the hook or from the end of a chain to balance ..... depending on if its a branch or a crown.

Great video and great work. Really appreciate you posting that up :)
Nice and smooth.
why thank you sir.
I will get around to doing a few more in the near future, plenty of footage hanging around in my archives.

@butch ... do you just single sling it most of the time ?

Speaking of choker types, we've talked in other threads about the danger of large, straight tulip sections slipping completely out of their bark skin during spring time removals when the sap is running and nylon straps were being used for the chokers. Ive always felt wire chokers were the answer cuz they bite into the bark unlike a nylon strap. Apparently not, according to my crane guy. They were using his 100t with 2 jibs on to remove a dead tulip, they choked the approx 4k lbs trunk and it slipped out of the bark as it was being picked. Must have been ugly. So now I know notches have to be cut for the choker if there are no knots etc to keep the log from slipping.

But I'm wondering if chains might bite better than steel wire chokers and thus be safer or would notches still be called for.

How long does it take to cut a notch or two? 1 minute. When in doubt about something flying over you, and everyone else, why not. A crane dropping a 4k piece will have a lot of recoil.

I think slings grip way better than chains or wire chockers.

No matter what you use, when in doubt - cut a notch.

I think chains bite harder then slings I'm honest and i find them to be more versatile ..... downside is they are twice the weight but I've never found that to be a problem.
and yes ... notch if in doubt

83a4qbQ.gif

:lol:

T'was funny, all right.
Hard to go wrong with the Dude.

Back