Parts delay

Page

TreeHouser
I ordered nuts and bolts for my 04 bandit 250xp back in March. Still no idea when they will come in. I’ve ordered from a couple different places and even called bandit in Michigan. They also have no idea. They say you should swap out the bolts every 3 blade changes. I’m on 5 now. Anyone have these bolts they could sell me ?

I doubt if bandit makes the bolts, maybe maybe not. Have you tried to source them elsewhere or are they something special?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tried to source the bolts from multiple places but they all come from one place. It’s my understanding that you can’t get this kinda thing anywhere else.

Imo changing them is a good idea but Idk if I would sweat it too much, I'd bet lotta guys don't change them for years

You might have to find a way to sharpen them without unbolting: touch up weekly or bi-weekly with a flat file or something.

I never buy the "I don't know" story. Someone supervises the production line, someone schedules what is made and has a list of what needs to be made. Someone can track down an accurate estimate of when stuff will be available, or they aren't running their business right.

Get the actual specifications directly from the engineering department at Bandit. Then you know you’re getting the correct strength/ductility bolt from McMaster Carr or Fastenal, etc.

I have found engineering doesn’t like to cooperate and loose their markup. Bandit may be different.

Have you talked to Kyle at Bandit? Fastenal came To my mind as well. I’ll ask John when he gets up, maybe we have some.

I wouldnt sweat it about changing bolts every 3 blade swaps. I ran a 350 HP 22" chipper and only changed them once a year.

You could source them from Mcmaster but you will pay a premium. I used to get mine from a guy on ebay for cheap. As long as they meet the specs you are good. FWIW I was always interested in how light the super strong bolts were compared to regular bolts of the same size, kinda counter intuitive IMO. Mine were 7/8" fine thread x 3 1/2

I know cat makes their own bolts for stuff, but they are bigger than all chipper manufacturers put together. Fastenal, grainger, McMaster, etc exist just for this need, and honestly might even be the distributers of said bolts to the chipper manufacturer anyways.

I wouldnt sweat it about changing bolts every 3 blade swaps. I ran a 350 HP 22" chipper and only changed them once a year.

You could source them from Mcmaster but you will pay a premium. I used to get mine from a guy on ebay for cheap. As long as they meet the specs you are good. FWIW I was always interested in how light the super strong bolts were compared to regular bolts of the same size, kinda counter intuitive IMO. Mine were 7/8" fine thread x 3 1/2
How many blade changes is that?

Is part of the concern the stretching with each tightening, or just the ongoing impact?

My blades clamp in like a planer.
Never have changed the bolts. I only change my blades about once a year.

I do a good mix of large tree pruning, small tree pruning, removals, drop and leave, etc, and don't run a crew that feeds gravel.

Once I was working with another company's guys and I couldn't figure out right away what went wrong with my chipper. Then I realized, and have been a stickler about only chipping wood and brush, nothing raked.

Helps to work closer to home and have lots of green space.

The bolts are torqued so that it actually stretches the steel, and it's that stretching force (called preload) that does the actual holding. Since the bolts are physically stretching you start introducing metal fatigue, so that's why they are replaced in critical components or where failure would be catastrophic. Engine components, high speed rotating assemblies, and certain pipe flange connections come to mind but it's a very common practice. Sometimes they use special washers too to increase the distance of the preload force.

Another factor is the higher carbon content of the steel used. As the grade number goes up the more carbon is added to the steel, making the steel more brittle but far harder, allowing a higher force to be resisted at a cost of toughness. Steel is fully hardened and then tempered, which adds ductility back by converting the grain structure a bit. Basically the carbon content determines how much heat treatment can change the properties, while the amount of tempering determines how hard or tough it is. A file is a good example, it's a high carbon steel that is left fully hardened. It will cut metals softer than it is, but its easy to accidently break by simply dropping it. But you can also heat it up hot enough that the hardness goes away so it's really tough but won't hold an edge (this is what happens to saw chain if used dull). High grade bolts are more like files than regular "soft" steel, with a high carbon content and heat treatment to increase the hardness to the desired strength, which is then stretched to an exact amount determined by said hardness. As you can imagine this is tricky to get just right, so you use new to eliminate the errors which could cause failure.

Back