Normal for new rope?

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I noticed my 2 month old Hyperclimb has milked(?) at the unspliced end. About an 8” difference between inner and outer. 200’ long. I generally alternate ends as basal ties. I know some movement is normal, not sure about so much?

Attachments

• AC5FF37E-7C6C-44C3-AA9E-5534F2C0B881.jpeg
    AC5FF37E-7C6C-44C3-AA9E-5534F2C0B881.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 7DED7E6C-62EE-488D-AF94-0DEE377FD07B.jpeg
    7DED7E6C-62EE-488D-AF94-0DEE377FD07B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
How is the fit of the cover to the core?

My climbing device milked enough newish htp to get baggy beneath the device, preventing it from working. I haven't washed or milked the rope. I kinda rely on rain to wash off the braiding wax (half hoping, half joking).

You have an excess of cover.

Some people use some of that milked cover to make a tapered end on the rope for tight forks, possibly also adding a loop of throw-line into the end of the cover for a clip-in point for installing, I think.

I might consider enough of a throwline loop to be able to girth hitch onto the ring of the throw-weight, as often will simply put the rope through the ring, and tie and overhand knot as a stopper. Not always streamlined enough. No stopper would remove some of that difficulty, while allowing the benefits, both speed of connection/ no loose equipment to misplace or lose and positioning of the rope.

Having a throw-weight at the connect allows for certain rope-installation finesse tricks. It manipulates way differently than a rope/ throwline combo, if you can afford the lack of it being as streamlined, to pull through forks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for putting me at ease Burnham!

Sean,
I’m not sure how / if the inner is attached to the outer. That’s crazy that you experienced such extreme milking that it bound your device!! Would have never thought such a thing could happen. Which device? (Not that matters much, just curious). So you’re saying to use the outer section to my advantage. Never thought of that.

Double braid ropes do not have any attachment between the inner and outer braids. They are free to move independently. The explanation for the milking is because of the tightness/looseness of the braid of the inner and outer cores. Better, more expensive ropes tend to have a better match between the inner and outer cores so they don't milk as much. The lower priced ropes will often milk a lot. They are still safe and strong, but you can't splice both ends on a rope that will milk out until you have used it a while and the stretch between the inner and outer cores has equalized.

Treestuff told me that splicing my yale blue moon on both sides would be fine but after using it more and more it seems like that’s not the case. Especially on my first work climb the other day with my rrp. Could see my blue moon becoming more oval and tighter while below me was round and squishy. On my final descent, the rrp wouldn’t even keep me suspended without pushing up on the bird. Was a slow descent and worked great the entire climb til I had a long descent down to drop the spar

I never get both ends spliced for that reason. All ropes tend to milk and it’s as Skwerl said. Most mechanicals flatten the rope out on decent. Used to really drive me nuts. Now I just accept it. I like what Sean said about leaving some of the milked end on for tight fits. Just melt the end so it doesn’t unravel. Also keep enough tail on your tie off to keep that section dead.
And to answer your original question, yes that is normal for most ropes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Definitely notice the mechanicals stiffen the rope. Sounds like, Matt, when the RRP heats up after descending, there’s slippage?

My akimbo would slip after long descents. I assumed that heat plays a small part in that. Also figured I was on a less used part of the rope so it wasn’t as fuzzed yet. My rope runner never really slipped until someone told me it was time for some new bollards now it slips every time I use it. I got to get ahold of Kevin or just order from TS

I wouldn’t think it slipped due to heat cause I was descending very slowly given it was my first climb on the rrp. I think it was due to the flattening of the rope. Having a smaller diameter as an oval than a circle allowed the bird to not do its job aswell, probably just needs to be adjusted in more. Oh and Happy Easter everyone! 🐣 ✝️

Hello Guys!! Chris here, head splicer of Arbo Space. We always tell our clients to not get splice both ends unless they really insist..

When it comes to milking, expect 1-2% of milking from the length of the rope so if you have 200ft. Of rope 20-30 inches of milking is not crazy, but Ofcourse you want a rope that almost do no milk. We constantly trying to develop a rope that doesn’t milk.. I highly recommend you guys to try our 11.2mm Horizon Static, works very good on SRT.
Cheers

Back