Non Subsistence Food thread

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Stikine's subsistence thread rocks.

I found the following food article yet it obviously doesn't fit in his thread. And I wanted to post it because I feel it is an important issue. While subsistence is totally key and an important concept re food procurement, the vast majority of the world, afaik, gets their food produced by strangers and often from a mass production scenario which has many drawbacks.

I couldn't read the article @cory because of some subscription issue but that's ok. We eat as much as we can of organic food to support it. The reality is not 100 percent, of course but the options seem to get better with time. The price point difference is getting better in our stores so that helps.

99% of the 23 million pigs in Denmark( which is populated by 6 million humans) are stuffed full of anti biotics.
So they found one farmer, who does it differently, we have a saying: 1 svale gør ingen sommer.

( 1 swallow doesn't mean it is summer)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lmk if this link works for you all. Stig, my understanding from the article is that low antibiotic use in pigs is widespread in Denmark

I can read the article, I just don't buy it.
It is complete bullshit.

The government made a deal with the swine farmers in 2016, that they would voluntarily reduce antibiotics with 2% annually, because We are seeing more and more MRSA here, and it can ALL be traced back to swine production.

As has so often been proven, "voluntarily" doesn't work with agriculture in Denmark.
So what happened?
In 2020 they set a new a record, using more than ever before.

I don't know who came up with the "facts" for that article, but a good guess would be either " Landbrug og fødevarer" or " Bæredygtigt landbrug"
The 2 largest agricultural lobby organisations, both are better at lying than Goebbels were.

Speaking of whom, the way they raise hogs in Denmark is in fact reminscent of Nazi concentration camps.
With no thought to the well being of the animals at all.
Every day 29,514 piglets die.
That is one every 3rd second.

That is the hog farming industry that you try to show as a shining beacon as to how it should be done.

Excuse me a moment, I got to go outside and find a bush to puke behind!

Interesting perspective, thanks for that

Are you referring to things that lower stress levels making for healthier animals? That is a big part of lessening antibiotic use, apparently

So, according to you, a dead piglet every 3rd second is fun?

And here I thought I had a sense of humor.

Apparently not.

I was poking fun at the idea of animals being treated “inhumanely”, when their destiny is the slaughterhouse.
Yes, I was answering you.

Are you saying that animal's treatment is not important given they will be slaughtered?

Back