New guy question, can branches without leaves just be dormant?

Tim_B.

TreeHouser
Hey, folks! Thanks in advance for any help with this question. I've lately been climbing in an oak tree on occasion. (I haven't specifically identified the species.) Although the tree is in full bloom, with big leaves everywhere, there are some branches with buds on them that have no leaves on them at all.

My question is, is it possible that these particular branches are still alive, but just dormant? Or is it a sure thing that any branch without leaves at this time of year is most assuredly dead? Since all I'm doing in this tree is removing deadwood, it would be nice to have clarity on the issue. It would make my time in the tree more efficient if I were able to take advantage of opportunities when my work position is convenient for it.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

I guess a follow up question would be, if dormancy is a possibility, how do you folks distinguish "dead" from "dormant".

Tim

Uhhh... If you lived up here: I would say without hesitation... "They're dead dude... cut em off."

Now Northern VA... :/: However... as far as efficiency in the tree goes... "Cut em off anyway man... nobody's gonna miss em."

If they're not dead yet, they likely will be soon. Trees don't like to waste energy on non-producing branches. . .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great suggestion, Mistahbenn. Elegant in its simplicity. Just the kind of advice I was looking for. It seems really obvious now that I just read it on the page. I guess I just usually feel a bit badly when, in the course of climbing, I accidentally break small branches that would have been viable. To break a branch on purpose that looks like it might be ok if left alone just went against the grain enough that I had not considered doing it.

It makes sense to sacrifice a small part of one example in order to find out quickly what the deal seems to be. Thanks again, Mistahbenn. (I'm a poet, and didn't know it.)

Thanks also, inbredJed, Grendel and Butch for rendering an opinion. Interesting observation about the way trees act, Grendel. Thanks for that.

Much appreciated, guys.

Tim

you could also give it a knock with the flat side of a hand saw and the sound will be different. It's another way to tell all year round.

Feel 'em...generally live ones will be a bit cooler...then the bend test, bendy springy, it gets to stay for a little longer...

Look closely at the bark on the last growing twigs. If they loose most of their water (and therefor their life), even if they are still green, the bark shrinks.
For many species, the bark on the small limbs turn brownish when they dye. It isn't obvious in some cases and you have to go away a few feet to see it.

Feel 'em...generally live ones will be a bit cooler...then the bend test, bendy springy, it gets to stay for a little longer...

Thanks for that tip, Fiona. Subtle and smooth, trying to do the least amount of harm possible. Your advice is much appreciated.

Tim

Look closely at the bark on the last growing twigs. If they loose most of their water (and therefor their life), even if they are still green, the bark shrinks.
For many species, the bark on the small limbs turn brownish when they dye. It isn't obvious in some cases and you have to go away a few feet to see it.

Again, beautiful and subtle powers of perception. Thank you for this. It is such a privilege being a member of this forum; it's hard to express. Thank you for your input, Marc-Antoine.

Tim

Buds will be green and bit juicy. Crack a bud not a limb. Finger nail scratch bark also for green and juicy.

Thanks for that piece of advice, also, RopeArmour, it is much appreciated. Also subtle and slick, too. So many new tools for the tool box.

Thank you all, very much.

Tim

No problem for the long dead wood, but for some species, it isn't so obvious if the death is recent or in progress. That's why I don't like to deadwood in winter, because I have to pass too much time to look closely at all the twigs.
Take the walnut for example, it likes to make dead wood everywhere in the crown. Many are twigs on live limbs, but also some beefy ones which the tree just decided to abandon. You don't have many clues to tell if the whole limb (or part of it) is worth to be kept or to be cut. If you miss one, there's of course a good chance that it will be in plain sight when the leaves will come.

It interesting to me to read of a Question in what a dead branch is evacuated and a question is post to a form of so call professional , it seem obvious to me that unless you accept the ignorant advice from the self proclaimed experts, you can not express real opinions , well until now less that few have say anything of value. The more ridiculous point if the fact that the so call experts for some self proclaim reason expect to be hear idolize for the self proclaim expertise . Week of interaction have produce minimum positive resolute. It would have been better if there was a real concern of safety upon the forum members . But the ones that really care are to scare of the bullies ,with there self proclaimed skill masters, LOL you can not be that blind , I have learn more from video that from the bullies ignorant reference on this form. It is sad, I mean embarrassing to claim to be qualified ,however been so ignorant of the real world , Joe regular is making money regardless of Mr. Qualify credentials . It make no sense for Mr. Qualify to attempt to stop Joe regular from running a business . Joe regular is the only one that will hire Mr. Qualify . Why , because Mr. Qualify do not have the American Spirit to go and put everything on the line to open a business against all adds . By the way, when Joe regular sign you paycheck he do not care about spelling , neither of you. Sad just sad.

Does Jose have anything to contribute that has anything to do with the subject of this thread? I don't understand the post...

Back