Need to switch 200 motor to 110

stehansen

Climbing Up
I have an air compressor that I almost got rid of but now I can use at my home. It is a 1 hp (yes the one in the video) 1750 rpm motor and it was hooked up to 220 volts. I don't have a 220 plug available here and I thought at 1 hp it would be just fine at 110 volts. My problem is that the plate that had the instructions for changing the voltage has been lost in the move. I thought it would be no big deal I would just look it up on the net, but haven't been able to as of yet. Anyway if any of you electrical type guys could help me out I would appreciate it.
Now there are:
1 two black wires that come from the motor and are terminated together
2 a single black wire that comes from the motor and is terminated
3 a black wire from inside the motor that is wired to a white wire from the cord
4 a black wire from inside the motor that is wired to a black wire from the cord.
The brand is a dayton is that helps any and a picture of all the wires

Attachments

• Photo1450.jpg
    Photo1450.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 9
There should be numbers on all the wires coming from the motor. Can you check?

Yours should be the one on the right; capacitor start, dual-voltage.

You'll still need to identify the #'s on the leads or terminals.

253735324_c7d4920bc5.jpg

Steve, this might work, it is the changeover for a Dayton motor. Is yours a type K motor? If it doesn't help, you might call Graingers. They might supply a schematic for your model, or put you on to Dayton. The guy that posted this on the web, said that Graingers sent it to him.

Attachments

• wiring_schematic_800x600.jpg
    wiring_schematic_800x600.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 3
Grainger is expensive, but they can be pretty helpful if you give 'em a call.

Just a thought some of those damned things didn't have a split winding and were only made for one voltage .Fact the supposed 5 HP I have on the baby splitter my wifes cousin is using at the moment is a single voltage moter wired for 220-240 .My 3 HP compresser in the garage Craftsman , is also a single voltage motor .

I think the trend on less expensive motors seems to have gone that way .

After thought .If you have the Dayton model number of the motor you can probabley look it up on line through Graingers web site .If you can't find it on line ,shout out as I have the catalog about 3 feet away from me as I type .

When I upgraded my service to 200amp, i put the old 100amp panel in the shop and rewired.
I went the other direction and switched everything over to 220v.
A local electric motor repair shop, CP Electric, was very helpful with a couple older motors that had no markings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll get the info off the wires tomorrow Erik. The light isn't good enough out there now.

Back