Moving Bur Oak

They must have got the story from the Onion? Right?!

I am reminded of that picture and caption of a little African child asking a white aid worker "you mean you have so much clean water that you shit in it?".

I could have cut the thing down for a grand.

Governments and universities are sufficiently stupid to spend money on such senseless endeavors. I guess it is easy when it is someone else's money.

It's a sorry waste of money. For any tree to survive a transplant it needs a root crown that extends to, or better, beyond the drip line. The root crown on that tree does not even come close to meeting the requirement. Sad.

Its donor funded, not tax funded, and ~1/280 of the budget. Maybe worth the risk at 70-80% supposed expected survival rate. Perhaps it will be incorporated in to the curriculum somewhere. Engineering students, forestry students, etc, etc.

Who is that member that moves big trees with his company? Hasn't been around in a while, I don't think.

I wonder how the vigor of the tree was, pre-move, and the longevity of that type of oak.

Yes I got it that it is Donor funded and a small portion of the whole project.......Donor funded means someone else's money and if this foolishness is 1/280th of the project how much other imprudent spending must there be? Mind you, I fully support the right of individuals to fritter away their own money on whatever they choose. However I have noted that prudent use of resources declines exponentially as personal sacrifice in the expenditure is removed.

I like (and agree with) that last sentence in your post, Stumper! "prudent use of resources declines exponentially as personal sacrifice in the expenditure is removed"
The dollar value on the worth of an endeavour (or some form of life) is completely subjective.
Allocating a lot (and to me it is a lot) of effort and money to relocate a "historic" tree is tedious stupidity, imo. Make furniture and mementos outta that sucker, and plant a grove of new oaks for future generations to enjoy. For far less monies expended.

I'd remove that tree in a jiffy. Slam BAM!!! Then id plant a garden of beautiful oaks with some landscape lighting and a few bluestone benches.

The dude actually has really good luck with moving large trees like this. I've talked to some friends of mine about it, the whole process is a lot more complex then I initially thought. They don't just dig a hole around it and shove beams and pipe underneath it and hope for the best. He moved some large live oaks down in FL near a friend of mine and they're still doing well years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back