Liable/Slander/What????

ianwhite

TreeHouser
Sure could use some advice from ya'll. So, I got a notification on my phone this evening after dinner. It was for a review that my business received. I would normally be excited for that. However, it was 1 star. Initially found that odd... Here's where it gets real weird. So, the girl (who will remain unnamed) that reviewed me also reviewed our local hack. Ya'll know I got 1 star. Guess what our hack got? 5 stars. Kinda ironic huh. Well, after digging a bit, the reviewer is friends with local hack company owner and friends with his family on facebook. Coincidence? I think not!

FWIW I went to high school with a kid and played soccer with this guy named Ryan. Ryan had a kid with a girl who has the same name as my "reviewer". That girl and Ryan have long since been separated cause she's apparently a dirtbag. Well, that girl dates local asshat hack company owner. Ryan's parents are super close with the kid. Ryan's parents are good folks. They hire me to do their tree work yet get along with the girl and are super involved with the kid. But, say as much as they don't wanna stir the pot they don't feel comfortable with him doing anything around their property and don't want his employees around their house. That narrative was just for reference to give you guys an idea what I'm dealing with. Asshat/hack is that kinda guy....

Thanks in advance for help.

Lawyer?

Review on what website? Is there a way to respond online? Does the site not have a quality control through customer service?

Let's talk details. Show the review. And to clarify, this review were never actually did work with you, correct?

If that is the case, then this is an easy fix.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...2&ie=UTF-8#q=aerial arborist solutions review

Link to google result page. On the right you can see where I guess I had to review myself. Kinda weird but didn't want to give myself anything less than 5 stars.......

Click on view all google reviews and that'll pretty well tell the story so I won't elaborate further here....

I'm usually super chill, but I'm pretty pissed right now....

Yes Nick. Absolutely correct. Never did work there. Never met this girl, didn't even know whose name it was till I got to digging. Asked my client what his grandsons mothers name was. Had to call him about a tree anyway. He asked why and I told him. He was not surprised. Same name.

Here's a nasty and mostly BS review we got on Yelp a month ago.

ead65ee821d498c5c4ced984039870b6.jpg

02f990974b415ef86e4b0851c8564860.jpg

This review is so thick with bs .... But since it's a customer that actually worked with us, I have no power in having it filtered.

love
nick

Wow Nick. That really sucks. I was wondering today just what exactly is wrong with people. I had a lady call me and ask me to come look over all of her trees and give her recommendations. I asked here what she had going on and why she wanted me come for a consult. She had a tree removed recently. When I asked why, it was because that's what I recommended last year. Hmmmm.... I didn't remove it..... She had someone else do the work. So I told her I'd be happy to come out for $200/hr. That apparently blew her mind. I was super polite and told her I understand if she didn't want to schedule the consult. She said she wanted to so she could know what to tell her tree service that does her removals and "cutting". WTF....She says I came by last year for $50 to look at a tree. I don't remember the lady. Some people.....

Kinda funny that they ask "what covers the costs of employees for the day". That'd be a lose/lose answer. I'm assuming you aren't in a hurry to go back and work for them again huh Nick?! haha

HAHAHAHA. Yeah right. That'll be the day. It took me a year to get paid. I had to threaten taking them to court.

Exactly. Some people....

love
nick

I think I've only ever had to tell one guy that I'd see him in court and good luck dealing with my lawyer. $ in couple days after that letter.
I still like the idea of a website for customer/client reviews. May not be as useful in our little central illinois area but I bet it'd be great in the big city.

I have two unanswered reviews on Facebook from two people I have no recollection of ever talking to. I checked for missed calls and voicemails from Tennessee (where the first guy lives). I didn't see the second until yesterday. Neither have responded to my questions as of yet. As far as I know, there's no way to refute/dispute their reviews on FB.

Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 9.23.58 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 9.22.58 PM.png

I can't see any reviews. I'd reply to them to feel free to call anytime but we have no record of ever having worked for you. Then just work on new 5 star reviews to drown them out.
Carl worked his well too

If he only knew you! LOL! To say that Carl, of all people, didn't answer or call back. VERY CLEARLY BULLSHIT!!!!!

I screwed up and bought a mini from someone else when Carl had a used one that I shoulda bought. The other one was cheap and seemed like a great deal. Should known better. Motor promptly blew itself apart after about a week of owning it. Carl was willing to not only answer my call, but try to help me with the machine! That's after I wasted his time talking to him about the machine a bunch then buying a different one. I guarantee that will not happen again. Next big purchase for me will be from Carl.

Long story short, I pretty much shot my drink outta my nose reading that shit about Carl not answering or getting back to that dude.

P.S. I'm still sorry Carl! I really did learn my lesson!

Her review

Courtney Mcguire
in the last week
Horrible service way over priced

My reply

"To be perfectly transparent, I am the owner of Aerial Arborist Solutions. I would like to state that I find it relatively comical that the only review I have is from a Courtney McGuire. Who, oddly enough, recently gave Advantage Tree Service a 5 star rating in the past week (note that my review is hours old and says it is from within the past week as well). I would like to clearly and explicitly state that not only have I never worked for Courtney McGuire but I don't even know who she is. I wonder if Mrs. McGuire is familiar with defamation claims?

Rather ironic that facebook profiles show direct connections to the owner, and family of the owner of Advantage, with Mrs. McGuire. Mrs. McGuire, I wish you the best of luck with my lawyer. I by no means take it lightly when someone attempts to have a negative impact upon the financial well being of my family. Especially when it is in such a blatantly slanderous manner."

My comment might been a bit overboard.....

Haha, I wouldn't do it that way but I think that'd get the point across to them. I'd just be worried what real clients might think

If he only knew you! LOL! To say that Carl, of all people, didn't answer or call back. VERY CLEARLY BULLSHIT!!!!!

I screwed up and bought a mini from someone else when Carl had a used one that I shoulda bought. The other one was cheap and seemed like a great deal. Should known better. Motor promptly blew itself apart after about a week of owning it. Carl was willing to not only answer my call, but try to help me with the machine! That's after I wasted his time talking to him about the machine a bunch then buying a different one. I guarantee that will not happen again. Next big purchase for me will be from Carl.

Long story short, I pretty much shot my drink outta my nose reading that shit about Carl not answering or getting back to that dude.

P.S. I'm still sorry Carl! I really did learn my lesson!

Haha if it makes you feel better, I remember you name, but I don't remember the situation! Glad you were happy with how I handled it!

Scratch that, I remember now I think. You called in the late summer of 2014, talked about coming down to look at the machine, I shot some videos for you, then you decided to go with a.... Boxer 526DX or 530 (maybe?) and the engine blew? Did it come out of Georgia?

I've got no answers but it definately seems online reviews can be a minefield. Here's a review of a colleague of mine, I found it amusing.

I took half day annual leave, waited whole afternoon for a job but no show. His assistant called said he can do the job tomorrow, I said ok but i want a discount since you wasted my afternoon taking off work. He finally called said, got caught up today and why I need a discount? Then said "well, I am not doing your job, YOU GO FIND ANOTHER COMPANY"! I would have rated this person ZERO if I can. I WAS SO FURIOUS NOT ONLY HE DIDN'T APOLOGIZE AND TOLD HIS CUSTOMER TO FIND ANOTHER COMPANY?

idiot customer, I doubt anyone asked him to take time off

Ha, good friends and customers stayed home today to work with me and talk while I did their small trees. I kept thinking, I wish they had something else to do. Do we ever want people hanging on our neck while we work.

Ian thats awesome of you to tell one on yourself like that. Especially good since Carl deserves to be bragged up for his service. My hat is off to you.

Haha if it makes you feel better, I remember you name, but I don't remember the situation! Glad you were happy with how I handled it!

Scratch that, I remember now I think. You called in the late summer of 2014, talked about coming down to look at the machine, I shot some videos for you, then you decided to go with a.... Boxer 526DX or 530 (maybe?) and the engine blew? Did it come out of Georgia?

I don't know how to make a shameful/face in hands face or emojiwhatever but that's what I'd do. Yes. Same situation Carl. 526dx and yep the motor blew and it was out of Georgia.

Yet another thing that speaks highly of Carl. Remembers some jackass from damn near 2 years ago, even after all the other folks he's dealt with and are worth remembering!

I'm not discounting your concern or issue with the review. I'm just curious, as a regional thing, would that review make a big impact on your business? What are people like in your area for reading reviews?

We do. We pay $300 per month. It works pretty well in Los Angeles because so many people use yelp for everything here. From anywhere in LA if you type arborist our name comes up first

love
nick

When I travel the country I notice that there are very few places that use yelp has heavily as Los Angeles does. Your mileage may vary

love
nick

Not used heavily here, I think Angie's list is bigger here. Does seem to be getting more popular all the time though

Back