ISA International Meeting/Comp

Kestersonian

TreeHouser
Hey all. Wasn't sure which group to post this in.

Is anybody going to the Milwaukee ISA conference this year? Besides getting some CEUs and watching Bernd Strasser's dreads fly around the canopy in 1st person, what are the merits of going to something like this? I've gone to chapter yearly meetings, but never the big show. I figured it would be fun to meet other tree folk from around the world.

Or to you is the ISA a big money suck and sending our industry in the wrong way:)? Either way. I appreciate you thoughts.

I'm not going. But I like the ISA, the 'cert' was easy to get and carries a lot of weight! I think it's been a great value to me.

The last thing I wanna see is someone climbing a tree, but that's me. I hope there's a large attendance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Both of my ISA certs have done me very well. It makes crafting a resume super easy. BUT, some have their views. Just might take a peek this year.

I usually play it down to my comp. Oh yah, haarrrrd test, real pricey, wouldn't be worthwhile. Why bother.

Lol.

I've been to one comp at the PNW ISA conference in Kelowna. I just spectated, it looked cool though I thought. If there was more of it around these parts I'd check it out for sure.

Opportunities to learn more tricks from around the world, meet people, network if you ever want to move, party with tree folks.

I'm surprised a bit that tree climbing comps are left to the untested competitor. I was an in-tree tech, and almost watched a guy fall from 40'. He changed systems on AR without lanyarding in. I forget the details. He though he tied a figure 8 on a bight but got a slip knot or something. My friend saw a guy fall to his death. Other fatalities perhaps, too, but the details of stories get fuzzy.

Sounds good, Nick. I look forward to hanging with the Treestuff gang. Now the real question: Get a hotel like a young professional, or urban hobo camp for the week? I'm pretty sure I could get by with with a length of throw chord, 40' of rope, rock harness, my backpacking hammock, lightweight sleeping bag, and sleep secured in some park trees nearby, out of sight and out of problems. I wore a single pair of Arborwear tech pants for two years of work in my early days a while back before buying a full set, so a week wouldn't hurt. Pretty sure this and a skateboard could fit in a convenient day pack.

I guess there goes the networking potential, unless I find a shower somewhere. Anyhow, there I go, always looking to add a bit of adventure and fun into these things. 8)

I went camping once for a month in the Marine Corps. I also didn't shower but once in that month. It wasn't as fun as it sounds.

After a week or so of not bathing, you almost become friends with the stuff that starts growing on you.

Almost...

It's a long way from Oakland, Kester, but go. I've been to 2002 Seattle, 2007 Hawaii, and 2012 Portland. Only the Hawaii conference involved much travel.

I attend our PNW chapter meetings about every two years, and find the lineup of speakers and exhibitors to be very good, considering it's just one chapter. But then the PNW has it going on.

Beddes is amazing....he retired (or at least didn't compete in the ITCC) for a couple years, then comes back and wins #9 in Portland. The man dances throughout the canopy!!

Oh, and welcome to da House, the best place on the net for us tree junkies to congregate! 12 years for me now. I've learned a lot from the information exchange....and shared a bunch of what I've done...... 39 years aloft and still banging it out, like there's no tomorrow!!

Yeah, I'm making plans to go this year. Funny how folks only response had to do with me not taking a shower. Nothing about risks of sleeping in public parks, vagrancy law, safety, etc. You guys love your showers. :) Anyhow, folks should let me know if they'll be there. I'll buy you a beer. So far it's just me and the treestuff dudes.

Back