Inspirational Logger's Story

I watched most of it. Kiddos interrupted with a few minutes left and somehow I didn’t pause it. The man has a great attitude

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I knew you guys would like his story.

I just ordered his book from Amazon. Can't wait to read it.

My favorite part of the video was the exchange between Gary and the 911 Operator.
Gary: "My leg is completely cut off."
911 Operator: "Where is your led at?"
Gary: "It's in my goddamn boot."

No doubt about it, Gary has True Grit!

I watched for the first 10 minutes, lots of people filling up, emotional stuff, no real facts, sugar overdose made me turn off.

Tough guy for sure, but if he is still working alone in the woods then ‘inspirational’ is not the ‘mot juste’

I didn't understand all the sentences, what went wrong exactly during the fell, beside it was a windy day ?

I didn't quite understand it either, but my interpretation was a catastrophic failure at the stump. Maybe the tree jumped off and took his leg? Probably have to get the book for details.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, waiting to read the book to find out more.

I know a few old cable skidder loggers that still work alone...not by choice, they can't afford to pay another worker.

It's kinda like climbing alone - not a safe practice.
Getting hurt alone is not a safe practice. Tree work is largely done in unsafe ways.

Ideally, everyone has competent ground crew who can make an aerial rescue with the dedicated aerial rescue bag of gear with a pre-installed access line, but it is entirely avoided by planning, judgment, and execution.

Too often, the climber is the skilled person on the job, and is distracted from climbing and rigging by having to try to run a circus of monkeys.

Back