inexpensive tach

sierratree

TreeHouser
recommendtions for an inexpensive hand held tachometer for high and low end adjustments...........thanks.

:D

This is the one I own. Bought it 3-4 years ago and it works fine. Some others have a slightly faster refresh rate but it's never been a problem or concern for me.

17122_L.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
great....... how do you connect it up? have only used the wireless type, before.

You can clip it around the spark plug wire or just hold the unit next to the plug. On the Stihl 200T I found it works if I just clip on to the steel belt hook ring on the back of the saw. It reads the radio waves from the spark plug so the wire and clip act more like an antenna than anything, pretty idiot proof.

I've had that one, but now use the one from Amick's. http://www.amickssuperstore.com/DTI...chometer_Tach_p/dti tech-tach tt-20k tach.htm More expensive, $89, but with a faster refresh rate and the memory of max recorded rpms comes in handy. Generally regarded as quite a good tach. Wired or wireless. Nice large readout too.

If you end up buying the one that Brian recommended, check to make sure it goes up to sufficient rpms. They used to make a couple different models, and one didn't go up high enough for chainsaws.

o.k..............great info.................thanks both.

I've had that one, but now use the one from Amick's. http://www.amickssuperstore.com/DTI...chometer_Tach_p/dti tech-tach tt-20k tach.htm More expensive, $89, but with a faster refresh rate and the memory of max recorded rpms comes in handy. Generally regarded as quite a good tach. Wired or wireless. Nice large readout too.

If you end up buying the one that Brian recommended, check to make sure it goes up to sufficient rpms. They used to make a couple different models, and one didn't go up high enough for chainsaws.

If I bought a new tach it would be that one now days. But I hope my edt-5 never dies.

Thread on tachs. I have used or compared. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/ported-saws/chainsaw-tachometer-choices/

Tach's are cool,, I guess. In the old days we just tuned the saws by ear and it was good enough. And highest revs were never always the bottom line for overall performance either.

I like a tach for reference, like when modifying and wanting to see the different readings. For adjusting, by ear I think is finer tuning. Seeing how that equates to the specs is informative too. Still, with a good tach that refreshes quickly, often the numbers bounce around a lot, I can't really tell with much exactitude with a tach anyway, when aiming for a certain number.

+1

I have a Stihl one like Brian's. Sure has saved me some grief on the FS 250 Brush Cutters. They go lean so often, you are constantly tuning them. I believe the carbs on them are even fussier than the 200T. But then look at the hours I put on them each year :lol:

just got the one from Amick. Gonna give it a try......i've also heard that the newer 460, etc high end; it's difficult to set the high speed by ear since it's hard to hear the difference when the engine revs over 13,500; so a tach would be a good thing.

:O

Back