Ice Hockey 2021-22

Underwor

Treehouser
When I went to North Dakota to teach in 1991, I was introduced to the game of ice hockey as the major sport in the state. I knew few of the "rules" if such things really exist! I soon learned to like watching a good game. I just happened to be at a 2 year college that was either champion or runner up in, I believe, at least 17 of the 38 years that the Junior College Athletic Assn. held a tournament. There was a long tradition for the area at all levels from Pee-Wee hockey (about age 4 I think) up through the UND Sioux who were perennial players in the Frozen Four. This community was located 12 miles from Canada and had a good enough reputation to attract many player from there and also several each year from European countries as well.
In the past several weeks, I have become a rabid fan again for a couple of reasons. The head coach and his assistant of the US Paraolympic hockey team were the high school math teacher/hockey coach and one of his players when we were in the Bottineau, ND area. As you may know, they won the Gold in Beijing again this year, again defeating Canada. Their combined goals from games with Canada (2), China. and Korea were US 29 - Opponents 1. I think I am right on those numbers, if not I shorted the US a few.
Currently the Dakota College at Bottineau team is in the ACHAM 2(?) play offs. They have defeated Trine University (IN), student population 4998, Ohio State sp 66,444, and U Mass sp 28,635 (sp according to Google). This from a school that had about 350 students when I taught there but has exploded to 898 students in recent years. They will now play in the Semi-finals tomorrow against the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles.
The school started as the ND School of Forestry in 1905. The team is the Lumberjacks. To top it off the Lady Jacks hockey team has won the first game at their national tournament as have the Lady Jacks Basket ball team at theirs. Never question a small group of tree people from the Northern border of ND.
Sorry for the length of this. I am a little wound up tonight!!

Back