Husqvarna seals

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
Seals in general really .Husqvarna for one uses square shouldered bearing and seal surfaces on the crankshaft .In a situation like that it would very easy to missinstall a seal causing a failure as some have found out unfortunately .

A very simple method is to use the thin plastic from a tube they often use to package drill bits,cigars or any number of round items .You split the tube so it kind of acts as a shoe horn funneling the seal over the shoulder .Just oil it up,install the seal,pull out the plastic .

The pic is a little blurry but it's all I have at the moment .Plus the situation is staged for an example because on that practicular saw ,Huskey 281 the seal is installed in the oil pump housing .Not over the shaft as shown .

Attachments

• Husqvarna seal.jpg
    Husqvarna seal.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 9
Husqvarna use different types of seals on the different models. Some integrate with bearing, some not.
Important to check so you get correct when replacing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing neat about Husqvarna is unlike Stihl the seals will fit many models .Those 281 seals are used also on the 181,288 ,298 ,2100,2101 and 3120 .With Stihl almost none interchange and the price is three times as high .Those seals came from Baileys less than 5 bucks each .

Thanks a ton for tip Al. Now tell me how to get the darned things out. A friend of mine said, "Since anytime you're replacing seals, the old ones are blown anyway; so just ram a screwdriver through the top to get the old one out." :what:

So how do you guys do it? I assume it's easy enough to do it without splitting the whole darned crankcase, but I can't figure it out. I've gotta replace the seals on an ms 440 and a husq 395. Can you get the 395 seals from Baileys?

If they sit harder than I can pull with a tiny hook I drill hole gently and pull with several hooks.
Often easy enough to do.

Getting the seals is the hardest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you blow that picture up there's a seal with a drywall screw stuck in it .That's how I do it .

HA! Thanks Al. Yeah, you're right, the picture is a little blurry. I was wonderin' what that was. So do you think you can get the 395 seals from Baileys?

Magnus: Thanks very much. I'll probably try that. I've got a little dremmel with tiny drill-bits.

Thanks a bunch Kev.

Say, how often (infrequently God willing) do you guys think that the gasket in the case has to be replaced--if ever. I saw a youtube clip of a guy who built a special jig to split his 395, and I think I can do it, but I ain't looking forward to it. Main bearings?

Back