Husky or Stihl?

NorthWoodsDiver

TreeHouser
I have never purchased a saw. Ran the Stihl models at work for a little while, owned hand-me-down Husky and Poulans that I share with my brother. When I moved to Florida all the saws stayed with him.

Trying to find something for use around the home, heavy home use but not for professional use. But Florida has some big trees. I'd like to get something with probably a 20" bar but will handle a bit bigger so that it's not struggling w/ a 20 on.

Stopped at the local saw dealer and they recommended a Stihl MS290 or a Husky 455. I can handle the price ($400ish) but that's the top of what I can do right now. The weight was about the same, 13lbs or so.

Can anyone comment on either of these or any suggestions for something better in that price range? I'm leaning towards the Husky but for foolish reasons.

Also, what's a good bar oil for use in Florida heat? In MN we ran some from husky and it was thin as I recall but it's been about 4 years since I shopped for it. We used cooking oil for cutting ice too, never had an issue with it....

I've run a 360 Pro for years. Just bought a 362, today for backup! Love 'em both! ... 13lbs!!!

I have ran and worked on both. If I had to choose between the 290 or 455. 455 all day long. Newer updated saw with easy access to work on. 455 is just a little lighter PHO too. 455 has the balls to pull 3/8, the 290 likes 325.

Dealers are also getting autotune versions of the 455 now. Only dealer not the box stores.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have ran and worked on both. If I had to choose between the 290 or 455. 455 all day long. Newer updated saw with easy access to work on. 455 is just a little lighter PHO too. 455 has the balls to pull 3/8, the 290 likes 325.

Dealers are also getting autotune versions of the 455 now. Only dealer not the box stores.

Your officially talking over my head now. I worked on saws and other small engines but I never messed with upgrading things like the chain. When I worked for a tree service I just grabbed what they handed me and used it. With my own kit I just traded in like for like when it came to chain, worn out mufflers, etc.

Do you suggest upgrading chains? Other suggested upgrades/tuning?

The MS 362 looks like a nice saw but I'm guessing it's out of my price range. I'd like to walk out the door, after tax, at less than $500. I'm in a minimum wage situation at the moment so anything breaks the bank. Plus there are dreams of a 200T (or 201T) in my future, that's a big investment.

362 are in the higher end of $600 range. Lot better saw. I would take a 361 over it though and they were $589 new.

3/8 come on 455 stock. 325 came on the 290 I had stock. I tried both chains out and the 455 had more balls in the cut then a 290 anyway you went.

If you have someone you trust a used pro saw that didnt have commercial use on it is more saw for the buck then a new plastic saw.

I've been a die hard husky guy personally, but that aside I have 4 290's all with sprocket side seals gone. Not under my use, and offered as a note of observation.
Not sure where you moved to down here but if your close enough I may have a saw for you and you could keep some hard earned cash. Pm me a email if interested. It's a Echo cs670 here's a picture or two. uploadfromtaptalk1360022321924.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1360022393571.jpg

Like this stock 346xp on the left is out being tested right now with 16" 3/8 for $300. He is going to bring it back and have me muffler mod it and retune carb and buy it I guess. It had a 18" 325 but he wanted 16" 3/8 like I like on them too.

Now I have a XPG 346 that is woods ported and 357 carb on it that is like new I could let go. Reason I can is I have about 10-12 saws that size. Plus just got the new 550xp to try.

5503463450003_zpsda47a4c9.jpg

woods ported PP346xpg

Copyof346xpg262xp001.jpg

Take that guys 670 over a 455 or 290 any day too (pro build). I have the 6700.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been a die hard husky guy personally, but that aside I have 4 290's all with sprocket side seals gone. Not under my use, and offered as a note of observation.
Not sure where you moved to down here but if your close enough I may have a saw for you and you could keep some hard earned cash. Pm me a email if interested. It's a Echo cs670 here's a picture or two.

I'm in Medart, south of Crawfordville. 40 minutes south of Tallahassee.

I appreciate the offer for used ones. I sometimes buy used but for some reason my brain wants a shiny new saw. Warranty doesn't mean much these days so I can't even say I want a new saw for that...

My boss has an Echo from like the 70's (or something probably older than me) that still runs but he has replaced pretty much every component on it more than once. To the point where he collects used ebay models for parts now.

Husky dealer in MN has Rancher 455 with a 20" bar for $350 new. Reason I used that MN dealer, I just went through this with another guy and he went with the 460 husky for a few bucks more.

New Husqvarna 353 Chainsaw 20in Bar & Chain $420.00 Thats out the door cost to your door from places I know to get new from.

Husky 455 and 460 are pretty bullet proof... Been through 3 455s and still running a 460. The 460 will out grunt my un modded 036 Stihl (basically an early 360, 361). I prefer the Stihl aloft for weight and balance. Just me...

I have never operated those Husqvarna saws for the simple reason that brand is almost non existant in these parts .

My neighbor who I recently mentioned bought a very nice 290 lately for I think 250-300 bucks .I was sceptical having remembered the older 029 which I thought were a piece of junk quite frankly .The saw surprised me ,didn't do bad at all on the few cuts I made with it .

455 is an ok saw, i had 2...but the 346 and the 357 are simply bad as and worth the extra dough..there is a slightly tuned down version of the 346 thats more economical...i like huskys med and big saws, stihls for the small climbing saws

The 290 Farmboss is likely the most sold/used chainsaw of all time. It is like the F150 of chainsaws, if you take care of it it will last a lifetime.

Spoken like a true American!

There is no known world outside America.

Everyone drive huge, gassguzzling pickup trucks and run saws that come mounted with overlarge bars.

Nick, this House is trying ( I think?) to be an international forum.

The MS 260 in it's various guises and configurations is far as I know the most sold/ used saw of all time. It is the chainsaw version of the Mauser K 98.

I'm probably wrong, Magnus will know!

The F150 is hardly known outside the US, since the rest of the world actually have to pay for fuel.

Geeze Stig why so grumpy ---still .Actually the 029/MS 290 is probabley the biggest seller as far as Stihl .

Probabley as far as pick up trucks in that neck of the woods rather than a 150 if it were a Ford it's likely it would be the Ranger .On the other hand it could be some off shoot of a Toyota for all I know but I doubt it gets much better milage than a Ranger truth be known .

Ah, I'm just grumpy these days from too much work, Al.
Sometimes my posts show it too much, sorry.

A round about relative of mine has been running 455's and 460's to cut firewood. His cutters are brutal on equipment. He is running TSC summer grade oil in teens. Running dull chains etc. and he thinks the reason his saws are breaking is Husky is crap. OK. Says he is switching to Stihl. OK.

Part of the problem cutting firewood on the ground is kissing ground with the chain .I've been at it long enough I seldom do it but never the less it still happens .When it does you'd just as well get the file out right then and there.I you don't get on it it will dull up so fast you'll spend twice as long bringing it back sharp again .

I seldom hit the ground any more either but it does take a long time of concerted effort to get to that point. If you are just an employee that doesn't care you probably never get there. Same thing with the stop and sharpen, don't keep cutting. Seems like it takes a long time to learn that lesson too. By the time we learn all that stuff seems like we are getting too old to do it all day.

Bucking a lot of logs in the street is another way to get good at not hitting the ground. Just leave a thin strap that the mini can easily bust.

Which peanut butter do you like? Skippy or Jif?

You can't go wrong either way with the 2 brands the OP mentioned. Except if you live outside the US where there are different brands of peanut butter.

Gary

Back