huge tree to fell, anyone ever jacked a tree over?

okietreedude

Treehouser
Ive got a huge (at least for this area) 80" dbh cottonwood to take down in the next couple weeks. I can delimb the tree but for the trunk im looking for some info.

Anyone here ever used a jack to lift the tree over? Im wondering if simple wedges will be enuf or should I go bigger.

Thanks for you imput.

Here ya go....SOTC...Willie

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gwH4TTwNxo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ditto, but I would play with it in the woods first before Urbania

Fortunatly the tree is in the woods, in a row for a new powerline.

Gary, do you make the notch for the jack before the felling notch? The vid is great, but more detail into the process would be greater.

Every scenario is different. All we know is you have a big cottonwood to fall. Any pictures?

A jack can help a lot, as can a pull-line, as can undercutting the center of gravity, as can well used wedges.

I've used both a bottle jack and Silvey tree jacks. We cut in the face about 1/3, then the beginning of the backcut, then measure down for the jack height, cutting the base kerf. Lastly, we cut out the pie-piece shaped space for the jack. Make sure your back cut is started deep enough to get the saw back into the back cut after installing the jack.

Cottonwood isn't the most crush resistant, so a good steel plate on top of the jack will help.

Keep your wedges tight. You can lift a heck of a lot with a wedge, makes the jacking easier if you alternate. If your jack blows a seal, you need your wedges up tight so it doesn't rock back. Wide wedges and a bunch of 'em to spread that pressure on squishy cottonwood.

If you have a vertical spar, and cut your face deeper than normal, you can tip it more easily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Every scenario is different. All we know is you have a big cottonwood to fall. Any pictures?

no pics of the tree yet, ill be back up there tomorrow taking out some smaller crap and will take some.

The only one i have related to the job is this one: 880 w/ 47" bar.

Attachments

• 880.jpg
    880.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 23
And some new rubber tracks! Try to get some pics 90 degrees to the lay. Is it solid or nearly solid?

This was Burnham's advice in a thread about jacks:

If you have Jerry Beranek's Fundamentals, read up on jack use there...it's the best you'll find on the subject.

If you don't have the the book, get it. Get it now.

I agree..the book covers a LOT.

i always cut my jack seat first,
then enough meat out of the back so i can pump it up a bit and clear the bar thru past the ram,
then face it,
pump it a bit more till its commited,
back cut down to a couple inches,
and pump it the rest of the way over
slow and steady

I welded a UJ from a Truck to the Top of a 20 Ton Bottle Jack in the past.It works like a Gimble to prevent the Jack from Canting as the Back Cut opens.Its heavy and no replacement for the Real deal like a Silvey.

I have also seen a Jack fire the Valve out.

Use enogh Jack.

My guess is that a cotton wood of that size is rotton in the middle and would go the pull line route instead of a jack. You can use a jack but back it up with a line or two for sure.
I have jacked over a few trees with a 20t stubby bottle jack it works well enough in broad leaf trees if they are sound. One oak I was tipping out in the woods broke its hinge before it committed to the lay and went 45* to the left, still in the right direction but not on target.

I would estimate this cottonwood would be 120 ft tall max. I'd shoot a throwline with the BigShot, set a pull rope and pull with my truck, redirected with blocks if needed if access to truck is not a straight pull.
Heavy side lean? then a 90 degree to the lay guy rope may also be needed.

You have to remember tree jacks were developed over the "logger generations" in the PNW in very strong long fiber conifer .
Cottonwood is the opposite and a big tree jack can lift and easily break either side of the hinge or both.

no pics of the tree yet, ill be back up there tomorrow taking out some smaller crap and will take some.

The only one i have related to the job is this one: 880 w/ 47" bar.

That only tells us that you'll be felling a 110" diameter tree:lol:

Sports Car forum: big-engine-as-compensation-for-something-small jokes...
This forum: 'small-bar' jokes must be the opposite; relating to big skills/knowledge...

My guess is that a cotton wood of that size is rotton in the middle and would go the pull line route instead of a jack. You can use a jack but back it up with a line or two for sure.
I have jacked over a few trees with a 20t stubby bottle jack it works well enough in broad leaf trees if they are sound. One oak I was tipping out in the woods broke its hinge before it committed to the lay and went 45* to the left, still in the right direction but not on target.

Rotted, if it isn't completely hollow! Every one I've come across that big around here has been hollow! An 18" bar will most likely cut it down!
Sound it, or better yet, drill it and see what you are dealing with first, then think about the jack idea. If it's anything like the ones I've come across I doubt you will even have enough wood to set the jack up on!

Back