How do you deal with customers that refuse to pay?

Benjo75

Treehouser
I've recently found myself in an odd position. Got a call back in April about a tree on a house after a storm. I was on the other end of the county. My partner, who also owns his own business was in the area so I had him bid it. He got it. We worked the job. My policy is I get paid before I leave the property unless other arrangementsare made in advance. Mainly to keep this kind of problem down. The customer gave him a sob story about the vurus and he wasn't working and didn't have any money as soon as we were done. I was already in the bucket headed to another job. This week he tells me rhe guy won't pay after several additional invoices were sent. It's been over 4 months. So now it's on me to get our money. I want to drive out there tonight and get it but I know I'd better not. I'm the most easy going person you'll meet but if someone is deliberately screwing me over I can change in a second. I found out the guy has already been paid for the tree and his roof damage by his insurance co. Do any of you have a set rate with which your price goes up after a set time? Any advice?

Go knock on his door and tell him if you aren't paid in 24 hours then you're bringing his tree back (or equivalent) and dumping it in his driveway.

Of course you can't do this legally, but the threat may scare him into paying. You may also be able to file a claim with his insurance company.

I know it's unprofessional, but why would it be illegal? You could also just take him to court.

This reminds me of a couple very old unpaid debts. Revenge is a dish best served cold. :evil:

As far as why it's illegal, try explaining to the cop why you're dumping a load of crap in somebody's residential driveway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Believe me I've thought of both. And several more. There are plenty of big trees right by the house. I'd like to sve this without spending the next 6 months in jail though.

You’ll never see your money. Court will cost you more in lost time and money than you would recover. I would be putting my imagination to work.

Have cousin Frankie show up with the boyZ in da ice cream truck...

Last edited:
I would recommend and have done in the past, to just show up and demand payment. You don't have to beat the fella, just show up and tell him you'd like to be paid or leave with something of equivalent value to clear the debt. This has worked well for me before. Doesn't hurt to be a bit menacing and seem a little hot, but just know you have to control yourself.

Face to face will sometimes inspire people to do the right thing. The problem is no longer in his mailbox it's on his doorstep.

I normally turn up unanounced holding a copy of the bill.If they are not home I leave a copy of it folded into their door jamb.

I have had clients get aggressive but I think it's how you say things rather than if you appear menacing or not. If they begin to bring up topics such as " all the mess you left or the things that they found "broken" then you have to go down the legal route of just take it on the chin.

Here in Norway the client really dosnt have to pay and sometimes it's sadly not worth the hassel of chasing the client through the legal system.Unfortunatly some people take advantage of this and it's sometimes hard to spot them.

But that won't do any good unless he is selling his house, right?

Right, I think. May affect credit score too, I wouldn’t be surprised, but I’m not sure.

Call up Antifa and have them protest their property.
Round Up filled water balloons launched into their yard and tree canopies.
Hire Nunzio form Palermo to "handle" the situation.
A mass mailer to the neighborhood saying they don't pay their bills.
A rag stuffed into their furnace exhaust vent.
Mail them a bill every day.
Send it to collections.
Contractor lein.
A box of roofing nails dumped in front of their house.
A rotting animal under their porch/pool.
And the classic burning bag of shit on their porch.
Call the cops saying you smelled a meth lab when working their property.
That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Flush, those are good ones! :)

I would lean towards a face to face. Any crap about Covid, tell the the guy you did not call him, he called you.

We did have to write one off some years ago. We had done a lot of work for this guy and were always paid, always. The last time though, he said he did not ask for the work to be done. Of course, he did. Anyway, turned out the guy had developed brain cancer and probably really believed he did not ask us to do the work. Eh, it was very frustrating but in the end, we just wrote it off.

Go talk to the guy, first.

Take payments.

If you're in earshot of neighbors, start softly about him screwing your family, and increase your volume, if he argues unreasonably.

Go to court.

He called. He signed, hopefully!!!!

Flush, you forgot one- I actually know a tree guy who got burned on payment so when the deadbeat was away on vacation for a week, tree guy put the garden hose in his front door mail slot and turned it on.

This tree guy is fairly loco, he's approx 88 y o and still running his bucket several days/week.

If you live in a sanctuary city like I do. Give a "motor homeless" person $20 a case of beer and a pack of brauts to park on his curb and invite all of his closest homeless friends to a cook out on his sidewalk. #$eattle $uck$ hahahaha

^THAT is awesome!
I have to agree with Virginia write it up as a loss and take the tax break. Tho I'd love to do some of my other suggestions. Just sayin.

Back