High Voltage Cable Inspection

I saw a video on that a few years back while training guys on high voltage towers.... absolutely nuts !!! but I guess someone has to do it ...Just like the guys who paint them.

Talking with some guys that do that type of work, they tell me that it becomes ordinary in a pretty short time.

I am not an electrician but I believe thats a ground of sorts. At the helo approaches the energy would arc and hit it because of a difference in potential? but the wand channels the energy through the platform and the suit i believe? Could be wrong.

I always thought this would be a cool job as well.
Hey Paul... Seems this German company uses their version of the Wraptor.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E7hcbZnyH1c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It discharges the high voltage/low amp static field. Without it the discharge could knock you out, though not kill you. Very similar to the technique used in heli logging before grabbing the hook. It must be discharged before grabbing it to connect a choker. The charge comes from the rotors friction in the air. 101

That conductive clothing the guy is wearing allows the corona (St Elmos fire ) to pass right over him .The copter in the air actually acts like a capacitor the definition of which is two conductors with an insulator between . In that case the air between the lines and the bird is the insulator

It might be interesting to note but in reality as the voltage gets higher the current actually only pases though the outside of the conductor .Most of the conductors on high voltage transmision line are ACSR .aluminum conducor steel reinforced .The current in essence is only mainly in the outer aluminum portion ,the steel is the strength kind of like a steel cable cored flip line .Theory 101

Scary chit but it works and they do it dailey

This guy is in training. Interesting part is at 1:30

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P8tprAIQFCE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back