Hi-Side Truck Boxes

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
So a friend that owes me some money has a pair of aluminum Weatherguard Hi-Side Toolboxes. Black aluminum diamond plate ones that look like this, but black, and diamond plate.

standard.jpg

The upside is that he is willing to give them up, and they are worth a bit more than I am owed. The downside is I have a 6.5' bed, which is 82" from end to end, the boxes are 90' long. I have a way of mounting them all figured out but am worried that they are going to hang out 8" past my tailgate.

Is it gonna look stupid? Am I looking at DOT problems? Whatcha think? Should I jump on it?

My other concern is that my tailgate has this black rubber thing on the top:
10-silv-hyb-spo-dw.jpg
If i hold a board flush with the bed rail, the tailgate itself can open and close but the black rubber thing that sticks up will hit the side box. Whats underneath that?

The guy owes me $500, the boxes are worth more than that new each, and they come with a ladder rack so its a pretty good deal for me. I would love to get em but only if I am gonna use, no interest in reselling or anything like that. I dont know if I will see the cash anytime soon otherwise but I will get it eventually I am sure.

Thoughts?

Hey, if it works and you want it, who gives a fug?

Know what I mean?

I'm just saying maybe you can flip it for a profit.

Take them.
Post them on Craigslist.
Profit.

Don't put them on your truck and screw it up. Unless you're in a severe bind due to lack of storage space, you won't use them and they will screw up your truck and block visibility.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't put them on your truck and screw it up. Unless you're in a severe bind due to lack of storage space, you won't use them and they will screw up your truck and block visibility.

How will they screw up the truck? Using ones that are too long or high side boxes in general? I have been wanting hi-sides for a while but not able to afford them. I keep my saws and stuff in the extended cab of my truck and various stuff under the toneau cover in the bed but we have breakins in my neighborhood and I dont want to get hit by a smash and grab and lose everything.

I was attracted to the weatherguard boxes because of the heavy security and to hi-sides in general because they retain bed space. I worry about trying to flip them, I know he tried to sell them on CL with no luck. Plus I am not a wheeler and dealer type guy and I really dont have the time, working 6 days/week and trying to do sidework on the 7th I dont have time to buy anything much less sell something.

The visibilty thing I can deal with I think..

Well in that case-
If you're going to mount them on your truck then mount them on the driver's side. Find something to lay on the side rail to space them up so they clear your tailgate. Try not to drill any more holes than necessary to make them secure, they will detract from the truck when you remove the boxes.

Sure! Just let the extra 8" extend back and swing a couple of railroad lanterns from the over hang ... It'll be so COOL! :lol:

i think they WILL look dumb. If I wanted boxes I would take these, sell them, then use the money and maybe some of my own cash to get proper boxes that BELONG on my truck.

Do it right.

Brian, you are saying mount both on the drivers side? that would be really tall... I might not make it in a drive through then!

As far as the other idea I was thinking something similar, just shim them up a bit.

My biggest concern is the hang over in the back... Do I need to paint the end red? Any idea on DOT issues?

I wish I had thought to look into getting a service body when I bought the truck. It is only 2 wheel drive and my plan is to keep it till it doesnt work anymore. My thinking is that if I add the boxes to it that I will be deterred from loading it up with wood and can use it more for transporting tools and such.

I dont know, I am a bit conflicted part says to hold out till I can afford the right sized ones but the other part says go for it and rock the big boxes and atleast get my gear locked up.

Thats what I am saying Butch.. So far I am with you, who cares what it looks like, if it works and I want it do it... But if everyone feels like Nick and thinks it looks ghetto I might skip it.

Still trying to figure out if Jack was serious, al but the lantern part obviously.

I didn't realize they were THAT much. Can you find the ones you want used?

Maybe they'll look ghetto....but seems like they will look ghetto AND work. Right now it seems you are more concerned with the latter.

With this new info, I say take em, install em, keep your eyes out for the right ones used and then sell the current ones if it makes sense at that time.

love
nick

The ones made by the people that made your truck are even more Nick... you know highway products, who made your aluminum body charge $14k for a service body... I bet that body you have cost 30k new.

The ones made by the people that made your truck are even more Nick... you know highway products, who made your aluminum body charge $14k for a service body... I bet that body you have cost 30k new.

I assure you I am quite aware of that and the mere thought of it warms the very cockles of my heart!

Yeah, I was kiddin'. You could make it work. But, like Nick says, it's gonna look wrong. It'll always be in the way and I bet you'd be banging your head on it all time. ;)

So there are two questions here, right?

Should to take them as payment of your pals debt
Should you put them on the truck

Sounds like most here say yes to the debt payment questions. Jury is still out on the other question.

But I dont want them just as payment, he had trouble selling them and I dont want to bother. I only want them if I am going to use them. I am compelled to use them for two reasons; 1 the cost of buying new ones of ANY size, and 2 the fact that as bigger ones, i get more storage...

It will look dumb. Sell them and buy one of these

tool_box_3712-005-1.jpg

Back