Here's one for ya

cory

Tree House enthusiast
I get a call for a dead tree on a house, addy is in a good neighborhood, but I smell a rat given this guy evidently let a long dead tree fall on his house. So I go out there, big colonial house at end of a long shared driveway of nice, pricey homes, but my suspicions were entirely accurate…the guy is a nice guy but his house looks a lot like the Adams Family house. He says he's lived there since 2000, and it is clear absolutely zero maintenance of any kind whatsoever has been done in that time to the house or grounds- peeling paint, lawn unmowed for years, several dead trees around including the dead white birch which broke in half and is on the roof, junk and garbage around, masonry failing apart, just utter dilapidation. It's hard to believe the place is occupied given it's appearance, that's how bad it was. Place looked bando.

So I figure I'm wasting my time but am sorta glad I was able to see such a bizarre place tucked away in a high class neighborhood. I give the guy a sky high price of $1600.00 to ensure I won't get the job and have to worry about collecting from a guy like this.

So of course, he called and said do it.

Ha it's a sweet job, if I get paid. Y'all got any ideas to make that happen? Normally I am never paid until a job is done, no down payment, and I've only had 1 or 2 problems with that approach in like 25 yrs.

Maybe he is an eccentric millionaire?

That is a wild sounding set of circumstances!

Not sure what to do, if you cant get paid in advance, I guess you would have to take your chances.

I guess if you were worried about it you could ask for half down.

Hard to say, maybe that would offend him, and maybe he was going to pay when the job was done and give a tip. I am not good at reading people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope, no contracts.

FFZ, I suppose I will ask for half down, but not looking forward to perhaps getting stiffed on the second half.

The problem in my mind is, since this guy clearly spends zero money on his house, (the dead tree on the roof actually looked like it kinda fit with the rest of the place, I'm surprised he wants it removed..) what's gonna motivate him to pay me for the work. Actually, if I had to bet, I think he's good for it since he seemed like a nice guy, but if I'm wrong, then, ya know, not getting paid suuuucks.

hey maybe he thought it was going to cost a lot more..
he might turn into a good cus.
good luck cory

I ask for full payment upon completion, if the custy isn't home or whatever, I almost always get it within 30 days, or I start calling.

hey maybe he thought it was going to cost a lot more..
he might turn into a good cus.
good luck cory

You may be right!! Lord knows, he needs a lot of tree work. It might become his pet thing to spend money on lol!! Forget the house, let's tune up all the trees!

Why don't you ask a neighbor what the deal is there. You can bring them a towel. If it's such a strange looking place, it will have gotten people's interest.

This is where having a deposit written into the contract is good. Most times it doesn't get used, but its helpful some times. If its built in to the contract already, it doesn't look like he's singled out. You can get a check in the bank in advance, and at least have some your expensed covered, even if you eat the profit and your time.

You could level with the guy, too. Ask for payment in cash up front.

Why don't you ask a neighbor what the deal is there. You can bring them a towel. If it's such a strange looking place, it will have gotten people's interest.

I have a custy on the shared driveway, but they're outta town for a long while. What do you mean "a towel"?

You could level with the guy, too. Ask for payment in cash up front.

Hi Fred, Hey I'm looking forward to doing the work for you but the looks of your place scares the shit outta me, so, long story short, please pay in advance in full . Thankyou!!

The towel, it's a Jap thing, to give a small hand towel to people when you go around to talk with them regarding work, like are going to be making noise next door or something, or are soliciting information. Give one to customers as a matter of course. People appreciate the usable item and it loosens them up. There isn't a household that can't use a little towel. A cheap way to make like friendly. Smart guys print their contact on the towel and buy them by the case. A very cheap towel for a few cents is more than adequate.

have you been beat before cory?
(I smell a new thread)

Really only twice. One, a cell tower construction guy just disappeared on me, never to be heard from again. That was a full day, on the house. Second time some really old people said they never said do the work...

Jay, who knew?? a towel...

Back