Helmet stink.....

NHlocal

TreeHouser
Wasn't sure where to post this so I went for the Climbing forum. :)

Was getting some last minute "gear stuff" done for a couple take downs this afternoon
and when I picked up my helmet I got a "strong" reminder to do a quick wash job on the
chin straps. Boy did they STINK!!! Anybody else have "trouble" with a "foul smell" coming
out of their helmet? I just give mine a quick wash with soap and water. I have "on occasion"
taken the entire strap system out and hand washed it, but that takes "a bit" of time.
Look forward to hearing of any other "routine" you all might use(and maybe some helpful hints;)).
Thanks!
Work safe. :thumbupold:

Interesting. I've never had a funky helmet smell, ever. I use those terrycloth sweatbands, and they get dirty way before any smell develops, then I just change em.

Two methods for me:

1. wash it in the shower...let it get thoroughly wet, soap it up and let the shower head douse it.

2. put it in the dishwasher on a "no heat" cycle

Sunlight should kill bacteria that gives the smell. What I do for my cycling helmet. Stick it in a bright spot during lunch between washings.

Trouble is UV not good for helmet plastic... I do like what Gary does, dish washer... If I were to wear it in the shower, the kids would video it and put it on You Tube

I still don't understand the smell thing. All my hardhats are plastic, except for the sweatband, and I've never known plastic to gather an odor.

Attachments

• rock and roll-300.jpg
    rock and roll-300.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 66
The suspension helmets usually aren't a problem Butch, like your vertex there. The stink is real noticeable with foam suspension helmets, like the kask or petzl alveo. The foam has a tendency to soak up all that sweat, and starts stinking. A good washing out in the shower does it for me. Heard of the dish washer method, have yet to try it.

Maybe just throw a bottle of anti bacterial spray in with your gear, alcohol or something. Spray your boots too. :)

soak in water/liquid soap then pwr wash then soak overnight then a good rinse then bath in diluted cleaning vinegar 1/2 and 1/2 and it smell no more. My harness will stink foul as well and I have done the same for that with good success.
I tried the freezer and it still stunk. Afraid of chlorine might be b to caustic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good stuff everyone. :thumbup:
Thanks for the great feedback. :D

I still don't understand the smell thing. All my hardhats are plastic, except for the sweatband, and I've never known plastic to gather an odor.

Remember Butch, it's the straps on my helmet that get smelly. The plastic doesn't seem to pick up the smell.
A bad habit I have is when I do a take down and I'm dripping with sweat, I'll take my helmet and set it aside
and forget about it. The straps are soaked with sweat and, as was said earlier, bacteria grow and make the stink. :(
I know, I know, the right thing to do is wash it right away. :roll:

I have been using Zeta-C pads from Oregon Aero for 5 years. The pads velcro in, and I can wash them every night if necessary. Really helps with comfort. For the helmet, a 5 min soak in a small bucket with a pinch of Tide. Too hard to take the straps out of the Vertex.

Sweaty straps..pew. I pour some detergent on the straps, let it soak in for a bit, fill a sink with warm water,and go at them with a nailbrush...rinse, repeat, hang it out to dry and its good for a couple months.

The fabric liner in my Kask got to stinking terrible this summer. . I read the instructions and took the liner and the sweat band out and hand washed them wwithDial Glycerine body soap. And warm water. Rinsed them real good and let them dry over the weekend. . It worked. . The chin strap on mine is odorless. .

I've got a brain bucket at work I've had for 6 years .If it stinks I'd never know it .On the other hand my sinuses are so bad I could smell like bucket of fermented butt holes and I wouldn't know it .Now the good part of that is mosquitoes don't bother me a bit if that is a good thing .

Back