Guessing Wood Weight

Species.
Poplar ? It weighs a metric ton.
Dead standing Poplar ? It weighs nuthin' !
Oak ? It weighs a LOT, dead or ALIVE.
I.D. is important.

Just a point of clarification.

Stable Braid (made by Samson) is different than Super Braid (made by Wall). Super Braid's cover is ALOT tighter (basically unspliceable). The tighter cover is great for wear restistance, but it compromises the ropes strength in a knot.

Couple "big" lines.
IMG_8380.jpg

Super Braid CANNOT be spliced, while Stable Braid CAN. Stable Braid's ability to be spliced is why I don't care for it. It's a looser braid and picks too easy for my tastes. Super Braid is the Kevlar of bullropes, I loves it!

Super Braid CANNOT be spliced, while Stable Braid CAN. Stable Braid's ability to be spliced is why I don't care for it. It's a looser braid and picks too easy for my tastes. Super Braid is the Kevlar of bullropes, I loves it!

But Super Braid doesn't hold a knot as well, and it is weaker at the knots due to the tight braid. Super Braid is the only bull rope I've ever broken and it broke at the knot.

And Stable Braid doesn't pick, you're thinking of Tenex. Stable Braid is da shiznit.

Super Braid is the Kevlar of bullropes, I loves it!

Then I guess it's too bad Wall went out of business and isn't making Super Braid anymore. To be perfectly honest, I never did like the stuff myself.

Back