Grivel twin gate

DMc

TreeHouser
What do you guys think of this type of locking/safety gate carabiner?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jkraPv-I_Bk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yea, somebody posted that earlier. I think it's a great idea, but I wouldn't know for sure until I tried it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry about the re-post but I feel the same as you, Butch, I would need to get my hands on one in order to determine how effective that double gate actually worked. My initial impression though is it looks cool and it might work well.

David

Does anyone know of a place to buy one?

David

would you say that is double locking? it seems very secure, i wonder if ansi could be convinced to make an exception to the triple locking rule if it could be demonstrated that this was more difficult to accidentally open? i know i have seen twist lock gates opened unintentionally.

but isnt the opening counted as an action? triple lock would be 1-push barrel up/down, 2-twist barrel, 3-open gate, no?

You know the regulations for carabiners were put in place to protect the user from known problems. Non-lockers were replaced by lockers which were safer but people had trouble remembering to engage the lock. Next came auto-locking which solved the forgetting problem but the locks were too easy to defeat so then came double-locking and if double-locking is good, well then triple-locking must be great. That is the same logic for using multiple backup knots because the knot you tied cannot be trusted. It would be more appropriate to use a better knot. Maybe this is a better gate concept?

I need to get my hands on a couple to see what they are like, where's Bonner?

David

I don't like the action.
That gate mechanism looks like it could be a bugger to negotiate with gloves on.
Gonna stick with my DMM Ultra O's and Petzl AM'Ds!

I don't like the action.
That gate mechanism looks like it could be a bugger to negotiate with gloves on.
Gonna stick with my DMM Ultra O's and Petzl AM'Ds!

if you watch the vid all the way through he operates the biner wearing what looks like a hockey glove!

if you watch the vid all the way through he operates the biner wearing what looks like a hockey glove!

I'm guilty of arriving at a negative verdict before examining all of the evidence. ;)
Will have to come up with another reason to dislike them!

Well its a double action, two movements and its open.
So I wouldn't use it for everyday life support.
Where/when would you guys use it?

...Where/when would you guys use it?

Some place noncritical but in the mix, such as on a saw strap or a replacement for a Caritool to get a feel on how it functions in the work environment.

but isnt the opening counted as an action? triple lock would be 1-push barrel up/down, 2-twist barrel, 3-open gate, no?

Exactly. And this one is 1-open the outer gate and 2- open carabiner. It needs one more action.

Regardless, if I was at a store that had them, I'd pick one up out of curiosity.

love
nick

One problem is the side loading. All carabiners are weaker on this axis, but this one has nothing to help holding the gate in place. Even if it's a double gate.
And the gate doesn't add any strength to the biner's body, so I'm doubtful about the rating we use to have on our safety gear.
I agree that's a cool looking gear, but I'd put it at a non critical place.

Back