Green Lazer on APTA

DMc

TreeHouser
This was mentioned on another thread and Gary asked if I would post a picture so here it is. Having a lazer on the APTA is just awesome! This one is not as powerful as I would have liked, but the price was right and it works well. The picatinny rail is held on with two-sided tape and zip ties. The zip ties were supposed to be temporary until I had the time to tap some screw holes but there they still are.

This is the lazer. http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers...eld-tactical-green-laser-sight-scp-ls269.html And the picatinny rail I used http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-weaver-picatinny-style-22-tactical-scope-mount-mnt-22towl.html

Attachments

• 20150425_103321-1.jpg
    20150425_103321-1.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 85
Dave, thanks for the follow-through. Precisely what I was looking to see.

The laser I had ordered from "Wicked Lasers" was supposed to be very bright but U.S. Customs stopped allowing them into the USA.

I just received a green laser from TreeStuff...it seems plenty bright so far but not much practical time with it yet.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1700

Thanks for the details on what you got and where you got it.

Are you having problem with kids and stupid adults pointing the lasers at airplanes?
We've had a couple of cases of pilots on commercial airlines being blinded temporarily that way.

That is exactly the problem. Big hubub on CNN a few weeks ago with lasers and planes. Police chopper helped triangulate to find a nut case that was zapping commercial flights. They narrowed it down to his apartment...did a search, found the laser, paperwork where he bought it, et al.

That's why I never received the one I ordered...it was made (probably in China) and batch shipped to USA for distribution. Customs interdicted...no laser.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hit a TIP of 135ft with the APTA, a laser would take a bit of luck out of it...

It helps a tremendous amount to know exactly were the barrel is pointing. I have the lazer zeroed at 75' so when I put the APTA in v blocks and spin it, the green dot will not move at that distance. What this means is wherever the dot shines, is where you will hit, for most straight up or almost straight up shooting. I thought that this would be a problem at first but just moving the dot around in the target vicinity gives you a good idea on how far you need to move in order to compensate for windage or arc if it is more of a horizontal shot.

With the lazer, I have been able to make some really difficult shots on the first try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, Sean. It is the same process used in making sure the crosshairs of a scope are centered within the scope tube. Because the lazer is mounted above the centerline of the barrel, it will not be pointing at the same spot as the barrel. To get them to do so after mounting the lazer on the APTA, set the APTA on a cardboard box with v notches cut into the top edge so they will allow you to spin the APTA with the lazer on and pointing at a large object 75' away. When you spin it the lazer dot will move in a circle. Keep adjusting the lazer turrets until the dot remains stationary when spun. They will now be pointing at the same spot at 75'.

Thanks. I wondered if it was more accurate shot from the ground, like a mortar, and you made some type of stand.

Back