Ford Aft-Axle Steel Fuel Tanks

treesandsurf

Treehouser
I'm posting this here to hopefully save some potential headaches and $ for housers down the road. Apparently Ford installed steel after axle tanks in their F450/550 vehicles from about 99-2010.

They used a metallic liner on the inside of the fuel tank. This liner was supposed to prevent rust from building on the inside of the tank; unfortunately the liner starts to peel away after being exposed to low-sulfer diesel for years. It chips off and creates a nightmare for the fuel system. The beginning symptoms started with loss of power on uphill climbs under load. Spent several hundred dollars at a shop diagnosing the problem without a fix. Finally found a link about the delamination and opened the tank and sure enough.

Have read stories of guys spending 5k to 10K to address this issue. If it makes it to your injectors you're hating life. I'm hoping it didn't do damage to my injectors but we'll see. A plastic replacement tank is on the the way, new fuel pump, modified fuel sending unit (to remove interior mesh screens) and hoping this does the trick. If you have this style of tank it might be worth it to check on the condition of the tank. Another way to find out, drain your fuel bowl and if you have any pieces of what looks like sand (the finer pieces of the lining) sitting on the bottom of the bowl after draining you may have this issue. I'll try and post a few pics of the inside of my old tank.

jp:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I bought the Titan replacement, most diesel performance shops carry them. No an inline filter will quickly clog. We are talking about a TON of material that comes off the tank. Both my intank filters were completely crammed with stuff and after cleaning it only took one more day of driving for it to fill back up with the lining flakes.

jp:D

Back