Flyfishin' and Hikin' all in one day

GASoline71

'cause chicks dig scars
Well I went on a little hike to one of my favorite high mountain trout lakes in Skagit County today. It's up about 4,500 feet. It's small, and so are the fish. A big one is 8" to 10"... but I let 'em go anyways. Just fun to breath the mountain air and be out of the rat race.

I only got one hookup today and he spit the fly out... so no fish were actually landed. But I have some good pics of the trip. It had been about 3 years since I have been up there. In the fall of 2006 there was a massive mudslide across the access road that goes to the trailhead. It was just cleared last summer... so I decided to head up and check it out.

One thing that hasn't changed, is how beautiful Western Washington's mountains are... So here goes some pics... :)

Gary

First 4 pics are on the drive up...

Attachments

• June Flyfishing 005.jpg
    June Flyfishing 005.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 10
  • June Flyfishing 006.jpg
    June Flyfishing 006.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 11
  • June Flyfishing 010.jpg
    June Flyfishing 010.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 9
  • June Flyfishing 011.jpg
    June Flyfishing 011.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here are the mudslide pics... first one is from the top... where it began. You can see the big gash it dug in the side of the hill.

second one is at the area where it crossed the lower road looking up. You can see where it came around a bend... look at all the timber it brought down with it.

Third pic is looking down from the road where it went over...

Attachments

• June Flyfishing 001.jpg
    June Flyfishing 001.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 11
  • June Flyfishing 017.jpg
    June Flyfishing 017.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 9
  • June Flyfishing 018.jpg
    June Flyfishing 018.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 10
The scenic hike to the lake... and the lake.

Still got snow up there... :)

Attachments

• June Flyfishing 007.jpg
    June Flyfishing 007.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 9
  • June Flyfishing 008.jpg
    June Flyfishing 008.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 9
  • June Flyfishing 009.jpg
    June Flyfishing 009.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 10
  • June Flyfishing 012.jpg
    June Flyfishing 012.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 9
  • June Flyfishing 013.jpg
    June Flyfishing 013.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 9
  • June Flyfishing 014.jpg
    June Flyfishing 014.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 11
The only place I have ever been in Washington was the Tri-Cities. Looks beautiful Gary. The back is feeling better I take it.

...and on the way back out I spotted this sign on the mainline road. Old stand of second or possibly third growth...

A shot of Finney Creek from a one lane bridge and a big old log with ferns growin' on it that is suspended above it... cool!

Also a shot from about 1,200 feet up of the headwaters of the Skagit River, and the mountains that feed it...

Mount Baker was hiding behind the clouds... so I couldn't get a shot of her.

Hope you all enjoyed the pics as much as I enjoyed taking them. :)

Gary

Attachments

• June Flyfishing 024.jpg
    June Flyfishing 024.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 10
  • June Flyfishing 025.jpg
    June Flyfishing 025.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 10
  • June Flyfishing 032.jpg
    June Flyfishing 032.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 9
Gar, looks like a cool getaway.....an old friend of mine, Stewart, owns the Rexville grocery and restaurant in the Skagit valley. Kind of a unique place he has going.....high praise for the food....stop in if you go through there.

http://www.rexvillegrocery.com/

Gar, looks like a cool getaway.....an old friend of mine, Stewart, owns the Rexville grocery and restaurant in the Skagit valley. Kind of a unique place he has going.....high praise for the food....stop in if you go through there.

http://www.rexvillegrocery.com/

Wow Jay... I have stopped there more than a dozen times over the years. It's on the lower Skagit... just before the river forks and makes the delta. Cool!

Gary

Beautiful stuff, Gary. I was so impressed with the beauty of the mountains in northern Cali, and everybody said that it just gets prettier as you go further north. Thanks for sharing your day with us. :)

Yes he did... It was a dump about 20 years ago when I first got up here to the North Sound area... it is a nice place to stop now. :)

Gary

nice stuff G, thanks for sharing the PNW beauty with the rest of the crowd. :) We must not take for granted where we live and what beauty it can be. :D

Gary, You still have snow at 4000 feet? Wow. I'm jealous of your day-ya filthy sasquatch.;)

Looks great.

The last 2 pics look just like two I have from where I used to go except there's someone standing on the log and there are gum trees in the other. :)

I've got to try and get this scanner going. :|:

Very cool , make me long for the mountains badly.
That Stuart really has it goin on with the store and deli.

Looks like a great trip, Gary.

You need to go back on Aug. 1 for this big deal at Rexville Grocery!!! (highlights are mine)

8th Annual
White Trash Food Festival
This retro event features a COOKING CONTEST and prize for the best white trash food. Categories for judging include appetizers, main course and dessert. Judging by an esteemed panel including Spam Robins, Dr. Daniable Jenson and supreme being to be named later. Cheese whiz tasting, spam snacks and good ol'boy beer along with live music will this an entertaining afternoon. Last years event had people cook'n in trailers in the parking lot and great duds. So get out your good'ol boy & girl clothes and win a prize for the best dressed!

When: Saturday, August 1st

Gary, how far away is that from where you live?

Thanks for the sharing the pix.

With yours, and Burnham's, and Jerry's pictures....I'm really getting an itch to see more country. One of the drawbacks of marrying a younger man....I've got longer to wait before he retires and can come travel with me.

Just beautiful!

That lake is a 2 hour drive, and about a 20 to 30 minute hike Che...

The drawback of living on Whidbey Island is that the mountains are 2 hours away... but the beuaty of the Island is great too!

Gary

Back