Firewood

I worked in oregon, i knew the word :drink:

That's a very cool description of the guys you work with, 09.. Good stuff!!

Yeah the kinetic splitters are awesome for sure, I've toyed with the idea of building one of them too :lol:. I would rather have a power hammer tho for metalworking, and then adapt that to splitting. Here's a woodcracker one, this is what I'm talking about, i figured the large screw types would be similar and the ability to apply that much torque could be used for all sorts of cool stuff, including a screw type stump grinder and setting screw piles. They have 2 types and I'm sure other manufacturers make them too, ones that are stationary on the ground and others mounted on a hoe, so it doubles as a grapple. In the Sherbrooke video the end shows one on a hoe for feeding the massive chipper splitting euc logs, you can see him tearing a chunk off but it doesn't show him splitting it, but you can see the splits being fed into the chipper. You wouldn't split it down to a usable firewood size because that would take forever, but you can take massive wood and easily break it down so it's much more manageable size to split on a splitter.

Several years ago i helped a buddy build a splitter he designed, a 4 way wedge on the ram so it could tilt vertical for splitting large rounds (reinforced c channel for the end so it's only gotta be up 3 or 4 inches off the ground). As is tradition we built it wayyyyy overkill, and it works great. I made some chain hooks that you could pound into the wood with a hammer and then clip it to a master link with grab hooks, and had a small jib crane mounted on a half ton for picking them up and resetting for the next split. With that you could split finish size stuff directly from the large rounds, and with an 8 second cycle time (5" cylinder with a large 2 stage pump, and a large engine to push it all) you could split a bunch pretty quickly. Obviously not quite as productive as a machine that could snow in a large horizontal grinder like Sherbrooke had, but for a guy heating his place it works great. But since he's doing trees i figured a screw type could be multipurpose, so it might be worth the effort/ money, I'm planning on doing one as well. That way i could do stumps and break down large wood, and the ability to set screw piles would be huge for me.

Last edited:
Love my 34ton Champion log splitter. But it's slooooow. I think full cycle time is something like 9 seconds, been a while since I've used it. Then there's all the extra handling involved. But it's great when I'm doing gnarly stuff or oak or what have you, or when I'm already half burned out.

For the majority of the pine and Fir and such that I do for firewood, I can wade through it with an axe very quickly. I'm fairly young, fairly strong, and I've got a fair bit of experience. There's no way a hydraulic splitter is keeping up with me.

Never seen or used a kinetic splitter, just not a thing around here I guess. Heck, not many folks have splitters of any kind! They look nifty on YouTube, but that's all I can say.

Those atom splitters I have seen first hand, and those are super cool!

There's a video on YouTube of some cat that made a splitter type attachment for his backhoe. Kind of just a ripper claw and a brace for the other side of the round. He was doing boiler wood if I remember correctly, and was using the backhoe to pick the round out of a pile, then split it right into the back of his dump truck. I'll look for the video, I thought it was a good idea, that maybe someday I could adapt to my purposes. Seemed like it would save a lot of the handling that's such a killer with firewood.

I used to split in the woods, so I could get as much on the truck as possible, and eliminate all the extra touching. But unless its going straight to the customer, you're still gonna do it, so you may as well NOT max out your trucks capacity every trip, and just make one or two extra trips if need be.

Back