Felling/gunning sights

Any 90/half rect or full rectangular in center of clean face can point to where the extreme competing greatest outer leverages of gunning sticks serve also to. My buddy used to use his cigarette pack with stick or straw aligned next to it in center of face if there was any question. Sometimes 2packs pointer stick in middle at center of face. From that used palm sized scrap pieces of plywood or even 2x4, Tsquare, roofing square (real nice handish size) on construction site later while showing others to have systematic faith in steps given. Saw sight seems to be off center or guessed slant of how far out would sight. Prefer sighting from arm length back, bluffed to next to target on straight lined saw; but mostly gut call this may 2nd guess/prove (mostly to others). Have also used 2 equally sized polesaw sticks at outer reaches of facing with doubter in center of triangle formed to illustrate gunning sticks to same geometry of fall.
To me this shows where the weightless framework naturally serves to, or a neutrally balanced as same. Compression/neutral/tension fields form perpendicularly across path to fall as like for a soft head leaner pulling squarely to home/hinge facing.
Any side lean(CoG not forward nor backward on facing's pathed axis) , gives then within the hinge itself different compression/neutral/tension strips form that face perpendicularly to the force/CoG now, not the path . Accentuate this effect with Tapered extending to this perpendicular range as immediate, rear, control side, tension ballasting in most key extended longest distance. While Dutch spice accentuates with the exact opposite (later, front, load side, compression, closest position)to compound ballast to move force even more powerfully across face towards center. Remove anti-swing fiber patch on load side can allow the compression/tension spaced antagonists to 'swing' spar more around than across face.
Any hard close gives an immediate sudden, impacting back pivotal change to the very highly charged mechanics; Tapered Hinge gives gradual/if any type pivotal change.
Dutch close 'early' before full speed committed, to one side; can be used as ballasting in tandem to Tapered especially.
Counter-intuitively, the CoG might need to be visualized within empty space within the tree boundaries to be most correct. As like where CoG to steel donut would be, but still work the CoG only thru the physical framework. i always look at the force flows as liquid; but this is only example where son's engineering training of to look at force as a 'ghost presence' outruns my 'liquid' model. Both tho, still more what i think of as 'Eastern' flow of force descriptions (he has been in Aikido for years); than what first came natural to me to know them as.

Last edited:
Nice idea using two 6' pole saw poles

Remember too, that your "line of sight" is NOT the center of the trunk, but a line to the right of the trunk. This line may be a foot or more (depending on the diameter of the tree) to the right of the center of the trunk. So, you must be aware that the actual falling path of the tree will be that much to the LEFT of your "gunning sight." If you aim exactly where you want the top center of the tree to fall, you will be off to the left. Not a big deal on small trees, but large tree in tight quarters can be different.

See Gerry's post above, #18 it is :D.

And as @davidwyby linked above...

Last edited:
See Gerry's post above, #18 it is :D.

And as @davidwyby linked above...

Yup, I know all about parallax problems B, thanks in part to having Jer as a mentor.

Back