Facebook On the Job?

Jed

TreeHouser
My ground guy is seriously addicted to social media, and I've had to talk to him twice about it. Now, I'm thinking about letting him go. Anybody else out there dealing with this?

If they can't work because of their phone, tell them to leave the phone in their vehicle. If they are insubordinate and aren't special, fire them. Ezpz.

I had a guy recently who was always on his phone so I said " I am about ready to throw that f@#$%ng phone in the chipper" he left it in the truck after that but it was a telling habit like August's thread about a drivers license. So he isn't around anymore.

When I have to do my walk in the mall, it continually amazes me all the people (and store employees) diddling with their phones.

I nearly got beat up by a bunch of school girls for suggesting that Steve Jobs has single handedly brought on the demise of western civilization. Social my ass. My folks watched two very attractive couples eating diner at the same table never say a word to anyone, even their dates.

I wonder if the social media addiction continues when said attractive couples are in the sack? Kinda funny.

I'm just 22 and it amazes me how many workers ask if they can bring headphones, how many will sit down while they've caught up the brush and get on their phone. It really takes a lot of patience for me to tell them they can be doing so many productive things like raking the last tree up that's not in our drop area on the current tree and I don't pay them to be on their phone

My last job I had to be ready to receive calls from my boss all the time, otherwise I don't think I'd have the phone on me. I say check the phones at lunch, otherwise they can be in the truck. Ten years ago nobody had cell phones, for the most part, and almost no service anyway. We all managed to work an eight hour shift without being in constant contact with the entire world.

Damn straight. I remember having to hunt a pay phone to call the boss or the office. It was soo cool when we got our first bag phone, around '95, '96. We thought we had it made!

I used to have to take over plowing responsibilities in the late '90's when my boss would go on vacation. He had a bag phone. I think it was $1 a minute. That thing was huge. Had a full size handset and a cord connecting it to the battery pack.:lol: At least I didn't have to hand crank it.

Fire him. You told him twice and clearly he isn't worried about you. he doesn't respect you. Its not like its an accidental habit. He consciously chooses to do what he feels like doing in this case. Next.

Why not try to harness his love for facebook and have him take pictures and keep a company page updated. Even a blog or an easy website. Make him your IT guy on the job, but make sure you set the limits. I know my guys like it when I tell them to take film or pictures, it brings out their creative side and breaks work monotony. Just throwing it out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fire him. You told him twice and clearly he isn't worried about you. he doesn't respect you. Its not like its an accidental habit. He consciously chooses to do what he feels like doing in this case. Next.

Yeah, I tend to be way too non-confrontational, so for me even to have chewed him out twice already about it feels like a lot. But...I don't know man: it really doesn't feel like disrespect, but rather like an addiction that he just can't break, but still... I'm thinking three strikes and he's done.

Back