Extending Ds On Saddle

lxskllr

Treehouser
This is the saddle I'm using...

1375-1.jpg

I'm contemplating a 'rope bridge' to separate the Ds, and get the climbing hardware a little higher. Maybe scaffold knots on each D. Any problems y'all foresee doing that, and if not, what rope? I'm thinking something in the 10mm range.

I have the exact same thought about my saddle. Problem is, the way I see it, a rope bridge between those 2 front dees will make the bridge far too long. And also, those heavy steel dees, in this day and age, are annoying AF. But the saddle I have is excellent in all other respects. Hence the quandary

Yeah don't. All it will accomplish is moving your hitch farther away, without any of the advantages of a rope bridge. Run the saddle for awhile, or forever, but understand that there's other types of saddles out there that allow far more mobility and less strain on your back when limbwalking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I kinda want the hitch farther away, or more precisely, I want the anchor farther away, and I'd then use shorter hitch cord. The overall goal is to use a hitch tending pulley. As it is now, it would be more complicated to implement due to the separation between the anchor and the hitch.

John, you (like me) like sticking w/the tried and true basic gear (I'm still climbing on my Weaver WLC-160 saddle; I have 2new saddles that have only been tried once; will make the move one day). That being said, when looking at reviews from others for replacing bridges for the Liger mod for the Cougar I have, 16 strand climbing rope like Yale XTC or any of the Samson Arbormaster series (BRW, Hawkeye or Blue Streak) should work well. I'd connect it w/poacher knot's at each end.

If you have the cougar, i would definitely do the liger mod. I used some half inch treestuff double braid rigging line, true blue maybe? Also when you do it, be sure to have the big hole looking out, so you can use it as a lower d ring attachment. Night and day difference in comfort if you have to hang from your lanyard.

Maybe just connect the two lower Ds with a delta link and tighten it down good. Then use that for your tie in. Something else to keep an eye on though. I have a Liger modded Cougar and I used XTC Fire for the bridge and a small Batt plate with 3 holes.

Lol my old business partner had Weaver’s version of the same saddle. It was beat to shit too. He was kinda funny looking in it with some shiny new carbon fiber Geckos. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I'll give it a shot and see how it works. I have a couple pieces of Hawkeye I can use. I'll put one end on a prusik so I can non destructively test fit/finish/purpose. I might just keep the prusik for adjustment, and then decide whether to shorten a piece I have, or just buy another short length if I think the Hawkeye would be useful elsewhere.

Back