Extend a pole

Boomerang Shot

Fundementals of General Treework
I have not been able to manage a boomerang shot. I need to practice. Jerry has demonstration in the working climber video series. It has to be seen to be believed! Also he offers a few tips in addition to what is in the book. Worth the price of admission!
Also for demonstration without tips IIRC Richard Mumford on YouTube.

09, that makes sense.

With the hook hooked on a branch and/or crotch, what sort of tie in do you have to your saddle and what size rope on the hook? Thx for the info. I own a hook, who knows maybe someday I'll use it!:|::|:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cory, you could always ship it down to me so I can make sure it works properly and is safe for you to use😉🤪

Eric,
What distance is Jerry boomeranging? I don’t have any issues at 3-4’ but absolutely no skills at a distance beyond that. Part of it depends on canopy thickness though. Do you remember which chapter in the it resides? Couldn’t locate it

Do you own FGTW? You seem like you're heavily into treeowork and that is The Bible.

Eric,
What distance is Jerry boomeranging? I don’t have any issues at 3-4’ but absolutely no skills at a distance beyond that. Part of it depends on canopy thickness though. Do you remember which chapter in the it resides? Couldn’t locate it
In the book he talks about 30 feet. Chapter 4. Page 49 of the old edition. In the video he makes 25 feet look easy.
It’s in the first video series if you can’t buy them all at once.

25’ is just crazy!! I suppose he needed a lanyard as long as most of our climb lines though with the massive trees he worked

I carry the hook by itself on my belt. I use a stupid long double ended lanyard (40 to 60 feet or so of 7/16), which i manage to stuff in a baby new tribe bag. So i have a whole nother climbing setup all ready to go right at my hip. So all i do to throw the hook is move the setup to my bridge, clip the hook, pull out the needed slack, and throw. Took longer to type than to just do it. The huge advantage to me is that it makes the long lanyard shoved in a little bag my own 3 d elevator. Now i don't need to "climb" and fight my way in and out limbs, past sucker growths and the like, now i just float thru the air towards anything i want to. Your tie in point out in space so you can't grab a limb but don't need to go higher? No problem, just clip and throw and now you are comfortably standing on a limb. Clipping a foot ascender or 3 to 1 you can calmly traverse in a controlled method to any limb you can throw to. Often you can pull the tips of limbs over to you, so can can work them and then let them go, saving a trip in the first place. It's a hook on a rope, which is strangely as awesome as it sounds.

The 1 huge thing to remember is that you are often setting yourself up for a pendulum fall risk so watch and mitigate for that. Why i carry a double lanyard in the first place, some of those long limb walks your climb line is no longer really safe. I always try to keep a lanyard in as much as possible to help negate the swing risk. No matter how bomber it seems, it's also not life support, so always lanyard in before taking your main system off to reposition or making a cut. Another tip I'll is that I'll toss it to a nearby crotch that i would never climb to normally, which gives me a triangulated work positioning setup for very little effort. The ability to sit back and use nearby limbs to stabilize you makes doing the work far easier and safer for a crappy climber like me. But i doubt i would use it as much if i didn't have the ability to deploy it instantly. The lanyard bag, and each end of the lanyard.

20200704_171814.jpg
20200704_171801.jpg
20200704_171717.jpg

Kyle, that’s a pretty impressive set up. Thank you for taking the time to write about it and shoot some pictures- vey helpful. Looks like Epple not available but there’s others. I REALLY need to get a setup like that!

Eric, thanks for the page location. Just read it. I’ve only boomeranged with a steel biner. Surely it will work better with a throw bag. Gonna try that tomorrow.

Thx for the good, descriptive post, 09.

Now, how bout a vid?!? :dude: :|::drink:;)

Maybe even a vid at ground level using adjacent small trees in place of leaders and limbs that would be in a large canopy. Probably a lot easier to film on the ground

It is amazing rope. Armor prus poly for the hitch cords with helical knots, my favorite friction hitch for stuff that isn't untied often.

What kinda knot do you tie the 7/16 to the hook with? If I recall, the hook has a shackle/clevis on it?

Do you find the pulley/hitch tender to be critical to the set up?

No not really, i use it on a 3 stand lanyard too that i use for positioning at work and it works great there too. I just do a slip knot to catch the biner, and then do the helical hitch. It works really well with a pinto because the hitch knot can simply go in the middle, so it all stays put perfectly. The helical knot is simply several loops finished with a bowline. Because of that you can infinitely adjust it so it works as hot as you prefer, and then simply do another overhand together with the ends to secure them. As needed you can stop and adjust, or leave alone forever. And you don't need splices or anything on the end, just some hitch cord. Suits me lol.

The epple hook has a hole on the end designed to be clipped with a biner. So i just clip the biner from the lanyard directly to it, it has a spliced eye for multiple attachments.

Back