EAT! Its hot and you have to eat, what do you go through a day?

CoreyYLTG

Treehouser
Food is fuel this time of year. If your sitting in a truck driving down the road and it needs fuel and you don't stop and get a few gallons the truck will die out and leave you stranded on the side of the road. Same goes for your body.

I typically start with 6 scrambled eggs, two pieces of toast, a baked potato, and deer steak for breakfast. I'll snack on dried fruits and nuts until lunch which is typically tuna and mayo on wheat(or McDonalds), and then snack until dinner which is typically about 1,000 calories of whatever my wife makes. About two hours after dinner I try to eat a big salad. Wash it all down with around 2 gallons of water with electrolytes.

What are you eating? I love me some food.

When it gets hot, I cook more outside in the evening.
I eat less in morning though. My body clock is not ready for food until about 9-10 am. No matter the season,.

I'm keeping starch and protein separate. So breakfast cereal and fruit and yoghurt, lunch is salad with ham and cheese and two fruits on the side, almonds and raisins, dinner either a protein with veggies or starch with veggies...alkaline water throughout the day sometimes with vitamin water in it or lemonjuice . not mixing meat and potatoes or meat and pasta, cutting down on bread I feel my energy levels are more even no peaks and troughs.
I cheat now and then to keep it real.
I am not missing bread

You eat well Corey. I typically substitute your salads with cup cakes or something. I have a hard time with breakfast since the onset of morning anxiety. I had Ashly buy me some cliff bars last week and they seem to be good to pop in the stomach during the morning hours.

Coffee for breakfast and the rest of the day. Occasionally a big lunch, occasionally nothing. Usually hungry at supper time for some strange reason...

yogurt/coffee
tuna/greens or couple of avocados
fish/pork/hanger steak or something like it for dinner and more greens

lots of water

I will go hungry before eating fast food

I have muesli for breakfast with added milled linseed (high in fat and protein), I find the linseed keeps me going longer before I get hungry. Bananas, cake and lately brazil nuts for morning tea then a tuna sandwich or burger for lunch. Dinner could be a steak or schnitzel with vegies or spaghetti etc. The heat generally suppresses my appetite, I drink water mixed up with sports drink electrolyte powder for hydration. I try to avoid fast food but if I get hungry at work I get bad headaches shortly after.

Shakeology in the morning. Usually a smoothie and a banana for lunch, and some kind of big viking dinner, or Pasties.

I dont mind fast food once in a while.

I know I dont work as hard as a tree guy, no one does right Cory;), but for breakfast i usually eat an egg with some bacon and dry bread.

Lunch is a sandwich with some chips and beans or corn.

Dinner is what ever is cooking.

Wish my wife would make bigger lunches and smaller suppers, but thats the way they did it in NZ, so thats how we do it.

I know I dont work as hard as a tree guy, no one does right Cory;),

Uh did I say that? Wouldn't surprise me but i don't remember. Was it something like 'most people wouldn't work this hard because if they did they would be sure there has to be a better way'??

I eat a lot. And fast. It can be kind of gross to witness. In the swimming thread it was noted water based activities produce a ravenous appetite... I SUP'd hard last weekend and had approximately 3 full dinners after.

Ok let's see, I drink only water and milk, been going gluten free lately so eat pretty much everything that is glutenless, love me some steak and buffler but hate where it comes from.

I too would sooner 'starve' than eat fast food, McD's etc.

Jim, you can't just lump " Tree guys" together like that.
The arbos don't work near as hard as the production fallers, in fact they are a bunch of lazy buggers in comparizon:lol:
I eat a lot, too.
Never fast food, though, which is easy being a vegetarian in a country where every variety of fast food has meat in it, Except for vegetarian pizza, which has PINEAPPLE?????????????????????:barf:

Yes, pineapple is gross on a pizza. At least you can eat cheese........life would not be worth living otherwise.

What do you mean "hate" where it comes from Cory? The fact that something had to die? Gluten is good for you, gluten's favorite thing is to be eaten by people. Its not nice to deny gluten's only wish.

I dont remember either for sure Cory, but we got into some discussion about how hard people in our professions work.

Well I'm happy to eat meat that was raised free range (ya know, had a 'good life', not raised in a feed lot, cage or other crowded, inhumane conditions, and not fattened up excessively fast) and killed humanely, but one never knows for sure in a grocery store if that is true with the package in front of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I'm happy to eat meat that was raised free range (ya know, had a 'good life', not raised in a feed lot, cage or other crowded, inhumane conditions, and not fattened up excessively fast) and killed humanely, but one never knows for sure in a grocery store if that is true with the package in front of you.

This is an area where I'm pretty darn lucky. My wife farms, so the bulk of our food comes from our backyard or other farms. Its how I justify the occasional Big Mac chugging contest with the work crew.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uh did I say that? Wouldn't surprise me but i don't remember. Was it something like 'most people wouldn't work this hard because if they did they would be sure there has to be a better way'??

I eat a lot. And fast. It can be kind of gross to witness. In the swimming thread it was noted water based activities produce a ravenous appetite... I SUP'd hard last weekend and had approximately 3 full dinners after.

Ok let's see, I drink only water and milk, been going gluten free lately so eat pretty much everything that is glutenless, love me some steak and buffler but hate where it comes from.

I too would sooner 'starve' than eat fast food, McD's etc.

This time of year everything is production focus on every crew I work with. Lunch is by default more of a "feeding" than a meal. Everybody thats been around a bit takes it in like an old chuck and duck.

Yup, lunch on a tree crew is like being in the food service.... you eat on your feet. In our case, sometimes in the tree. I often eat in the truck on the way to a job or home around 2 PM.
Crew eats as they can. I'll set a spell while a guy wolfs it down. Sometimes we can time it where we can all just set and eat. Felling trees is more conducive to eating as a group.

Day off today... cooking some pork chops over some maple I took down :)

I am curious now, when you say that you ate three dinners after a SUP session, how would that compare to a normal day of tree work?

SUP must be a hell of a work out.

Well like anything, some days are harder than others. Tree work usually bestows a significant level of exhaustion by the end of the day, whereas SUP not as much but then again i'm only SUP'g for 2 or 3 hours. Idk, the 3 dinners went down the hatch that night lickety split, I just attributed it to a nice long water workout.
SUP is a great way to beat the heat too of course. All this talk about a heat wave across the nation, no sign of it out in Long Island Sound on the paddle board!;)

This is an area where I'm pretty darn lucky. My wife farms, so the bulk of our food comes from our backyard or other farms. Its how I justify the occasional Big Mac chugging contest with the work crew.

That is a fine situation you are in, Corey:thumbup:

Back