Dead shag bark

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
Todays victim 100 foot dead shag bark .Of course I hung the pot licker on the fall which is nothing new to me .I have a hard time finding a hole to put them down in but I've became an expert in unhanging them .

Maybe a cord and 500 bd foot of saw log but with the flaws I'll call it half that .This is about a typical sized shag in these parts .Around a hundred with 2 foot on the stump .Makes a hell of a thump when it hits the ground .

Attachments

• shag 003.jpg
    shag 003.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 16
  • shag 004.jpg
    shag 004.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 18
  • shag 005.jpg
    shag 005.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 17
Tough wood, good for tool handles, etc. Babe Ruth used Hickory bats back in his day, but obsolete now being heavy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just like that bitter nut I flopped last week it has basically the same coloration as pecan . Hard as hammered hell though .

I 've seen cabinetry made of natural finish hickory and it's very pleasing to the eye .

I happened to get my hands on a big log, which is VERY unusual here,first one I've seen outside botanical gardens.
I turned the whole thing into salad bowls.
They came out very nice, like Al said: pleasing to the eye and takes a fine finish.
The wood being an oddity here, made them easy to sell as well.

Couple years ago I sent some hickory nuts to somebody I think in Sweden ,Norway ,Denmark maybe .They were trying to get some to grow for an experiment of sorts .

I never heard if they grew or not but it would take about 80 to 100 years for them ever get any size to them .The oldest I had ever seen was a 240-260 year old example that died on me several years ago .Those logs are in that pile in one of those pictures .I think there's 3 or 4 3 footers about 16 feet long .

I've seen hickory flooring where they left a little of the sap wood .It has a pleasing quality to it .The stuff is hard as a rock ,you about need carbine to work it but it planes out smooth as silk .Like everything it's a matter of preferance some like it and some don't .

Nice stick there Al. Seems like by the time they get that big here, only uses for them are firewood and water pipes.

Hickory does make for a beautifull kitchen, I've planed and drum sanded panels for a friend, damn glad my planer has carbide cutters!

Ed

That freakin bark is like armor plate .The wood isn't all that bad but the bark is tough on the chain .The wood is tough enough but it's not as bad as dry osage orange .

If you are far enough away with a shotgun that hickory bark will bounce lead shot .

Back