Compressed Air Cannon Throwline Launcher

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
VIDEO:

http://youtu.be/qamzqQkxsqI

So we made an air cannon. The only power source is a standard bicycle pump or any random compressor or similar air source. See a rough drawing here:

BazookaJoeAirCannon.jpg

The first build was PVC which was definitely a mistake. It exploded @ 60psi twice. The second build is all steel and much sleeker. So far we have been using 12 and 16 ounce Weaver weights and the 16 works best. Easily launches either weight over 200'. By decreasing the PSI you can control and aim with remarkable accuracy and repeatability. It stands a little over 6 feet assembled and the end easily pivots on the ground for aiming and recoil free firing.

The build was really easy:

Assemble pieces as in drawing using teflon tape and pipe wrenches.

The ball valve should have handle @ 90 degrees to tube for “closed/armed”. My experience is that it works best when the “trigger” mechanism is to pull the handle towards the user.

1. Set valve to “closed/armed”
2. attach pump to sniffer valve (located on T fitting)

3. Load throwball attached to throwline of choice. (it will take some rolling and mabe a stick to jam it in there. A good fit is best.

4. Pump to between 40 and 100 psi depending on weight and height.

5. Aim . Fire. Awesome huh?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was using a cheap thin red line i got, kind of a waxy nylonish line. I have tested it with the thicker yellow slickline stuff, not as high but high enough to handle anything we have here in ohio. My crappy bike pump from home depot only gets it up to around 110psi, the guy at the supply house i got the pipe from said it would handle 300 or 400 psi no problem but i cant imagine needing anything over 100, but if you did; a better pump or a compressor would work im sure.

honestly 40 - 60psi is all you really need and that is easy to pump up, 30 seconds or so of pumping. To me it is alot easier to aim than the bigshot and easier to fire. it might not be faster in every situation but its way cooler and shoots higher.

Ill get some videos and pictures up this week, it is on our bucket truck, it fits in the pruner box perfect, which is in the shop right now.

edit* To the tim taylor comment i shot a piece of rake handle a good 1/4 maybe 1/2 mile with some wadding and 100psi

Welcome to the house!
Cool idea. Are you going to market it?

Well, i will put up some videos and if people are excited about it i might build a couple for people to play with and test. imho i dont know how marketable it is, it is just a robustly built potato gun using air instead of an aerosol explosion.

Well, i will put up some videos and if people are excited about it i might build a couple for people to play with and test. imho i dont know how marketable it is, it is just a robustly built potato gun using air instead of an aerosol explosion.
Ok just sell the plans then but everything is market able.

Thats a good idea about an air pig, i will look into that. Maybe i could sell the plans or ask for a donation to a charity to get them.

2.jpg 1.jpg Ive been meaning to build one of these but haven't found time yet. I would love to see some pictures / video of it in use...

Heres my lazy man line setter...

View attachment 38185View attachment 38186Ive been meaning to build one of these but haven't found time yet. I would love to see some pictures / video of it in use...

Heres my lazy man line setter...

How did you weight the arrow? i have been thinking of using a recurve bow so i could lower/control the propulsion force. I have found that with too much force it just goes over the tips of the branches and is impossible to isolate to a crotch.

Replace the standard bolts with a section of fiberglass electric fence rod. Wind a 3/4" thick roll of duct tape around the front end, drill a hole in the opposite end for the fishing line. No fletching or bow string slot is needed.

Welcome to the house, neat idea, but this is more easier and no need for compresses air, just carry a can of Auqanet hair spray! Not that I know anything about these, but they will shoot an ear of corn well over 300yds.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ykF3TUTI2hU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Welcome to the house, neat idea, but this is more easier and no need for compresses air, just carry a can of Auqanet hair spray! Not that I know anything about these, but they will shoot an ear of corn well over 300yds.

Yeah, but since that is an explosion im not sure that it is really legal inside of city limits. On top of that, the one i built out of PVC looked very similar and the PVC weld failed @ 60psi and blew the reducer and barrell out @ a million mph. lastly it takes a piezo ignition.

electricity, explosions and all that just dont seem safe and the ruggedness and ease of use of the air system made more sense to me imho. i considered going with an aerosal/starting fluid concept though.

my crossbow bolt was made of 3/8 steel round bar which was threaded on the end so you can add nuts to further adjust weight. Mine is set up for 100' which for me is really pushing it with the big shot . Works well for the really tall trees, customers tend to go back inside when we bust it out:lol:

Back