class 2 double braid eye splice question

Mr Saugeen

Prospect
Hey all,
I'm fallowing the Samson directions on a practice run of a class 2 double braid eye splice. I want to put a tight eye in some HRC however I'm confused about the "Z" length for the extraction point. Legth "Z" is to be 5" but I only want a 3" eye. What is the trick?

Not sure about the c2 db, since I've never done one, but I've always done HRC with locked brummels and then dipped the exposed eyes in maxi jacket.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah Adam thats what I use for an eye to eye prusik. However with this application I was hoping to do the full class 2. I know it can be done I've seen a footlock prusik made from 8mm beeline, I was hoping to do the same.

Gotcha. Hopefully someone else will be able to give you some good advice.. that way someday when I do one I can just ask you. ;)

Yeah- you don't want that. That is the standard "core-to-core" splice that works okay if you're splicing an eye at the end of long line, but it'll never work for a hitch cord.

You need to do an exposed eye locking brummel with the cover whipped at the throat of each eye. To my knowledge, there are no printed directions for this splice anywhere on the internet.

Basically you get like a 50" piece of rope, pull the core completely out...like 100% separated. Core is on the work bench, cover is....I don't know, wadded up in your pocket or something.

You put a locking brummel splice on each end of the core. Lightly stitch the tails down. Now you pull the cover out of your pocket, cut it to length, slip it over the core, then whip each end down at the throat of the splice using a classic sailmakers whipping

Back