City workers felling a tree......bystander injured.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Foreseen, maybe not, but in this business you need to expect and plan for the un-expected.

I would not have allowed all those bystanders to be that close.

Ya, I think I would have also considered the front of that bar as within the potential danger zone.

With with happened, it still seems like those guys are trained much better than our city forestry crew! With the high potential for things things to go wrong in the city setting, I am surprised municipalities don't opt for a crane assisted removal. Even with bedding, it is not hard to damage asphalt.

Our rule is simple, all non-essential personnel have to be at minimum 2x the height away from the stump, People involved with pulling, 1.5x the height. Only the cutter is allowed at the stump except in training situations.

We would never allow people that close and would all be fired in that situation.

I for sure woulda removed that back lead before throwing. After thinking about it, I would have used a crane: the quarters were just too cramped.

When working at a Gulf gas station during my youth, across the wide four lanes boulevard was a small rowdy bar. One night we got the smart idea to see how close we could come to the open door of the bar when rolling a tire across the street. The tire hopped the curb and went directly into the bar, a perfect shot. A few moments later somebody inside the bar rolled it out back across the street, like they thought nothing of it. It was pretty dark in the bar, you couldn't much see what was going on, and nobody ever came outside to see what was up. i always thought that was cool, and wondered if it interrupted any conversation? Sorry for the derail, the video made me think of it.

I for sure woulda removed that back lead before throwing. After thinking about it, I would have used a crane: the quarters were just too cramped.

Cramped quarters is what we do. Right? Id of pulled it just like that, no problem. However, Id of surely secured the work area much better than that, and would probably have cribbed with a clam bite of brush. Whats the benefit of cribbing a log with other logs on a hard surface?

That log could have easily hit and damaged the building, even with the area secured. The bed spreads the weight of the log better, but even then it could have damaged the road.

You do realize it was one of the cribbing or bedding logs that was sent toward the building. Brush is always better, it cushions and wouldn't have went sailing like the log did.

Well, I'm not gonna lie, I didn't see that coming at all. I'd like to think in that situation we'd also have an area much larger than that taped off but even still... damn

Good lesson for me at someone else's expense. Hope that dude makes out ok.

Of course they should have worked some brush into the mix... I have that problem all the time. I'll want some brush to be left on the ground for when I'm bombing chunks, but the groundies are only concerned with making the brush disappear. THAT would have made a difference! BRUSH mixed in with the log bed!

Wow, didn't see that one coming, maybe the road was wet or icy. Only time I've had problems with cribbing is when the tree falls it snaps the cribbing flipping it in the air, but that is on soft ground.

Last edited:
I remember, years ago, I fell the stob of a huge Lombardy Poplar. It was probably about 40 feet high, and when it landed (on dirt) a chunk from the top of the stob shot all the way across the street--no bark (speed-bark) at this point, and finally came to rest in the neighbor's front yard after nearly missing the mailbox. We couldn't even move the piece by hand, it was so heavy. If it would have hit a car, I probably wouldn't even work for the company I do now.

Yikes! I think I would have shortened it up a bit more and tipped it to the side and not across the street.

After seeing a 5' stick of pulpwood (prolly 5" diameter) flip up and into a second-story window once, I am paranoid about chunks like that. I would have cleared bystander back 2 lengths of the spar to sides and behind, and 3 lengths out front. Also, as much as stubs get bashed, they are handy in preventing rolling chunks. Just one small diameter stub a foot long will keep a 12' chunk from rolling when chunked down. Same stub makes said chunk more stable for cribbing as well.

Back