CHIPPERzzz 'n' miniEZs repair, rebuild, performance, theory and safety

T Collins

Aloha Arborist
OK to all you tree shade mechanics and hillbilly engineers this is where you can let your freak flag fly.

1994 Bandit 90 whose an authority?

And to anyone who wants to wax poetic about their personal favorite chipper, extolling it's virtues and superiority over all other chippers you may do so here.

A few folks. It’s a pretty popular chipper, and for a good reason. The diesel 90xp is amazing. The gas is kinda meh, but it’ll earn.
Any specific questions or problems man?
I’m keeping my eyes peeled for a used one, probably end up with gas engine, just because I don’t wanna deal with the cold weather problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I'm tempted to do a re-power with a 4 cyl. Ford industrial 2.5L all cast iron lima engine (first in pinto cars then in ranger mini pu trucks)351lbs weight 74hp 123ft-lbs at 3200color. I would put a deutz diesel in it if I could find one but for $300 for a complete ford industrial on a skip ... Screenshot_20200813-220620_Chrome.jpg

I used to rent a Bandit 9" w Perkins Deisel quite a bit , good machine and eats trees for sure ... disc had a tendency to smash small pieces and compact them into the bottom corner thus plugging the infeed . Years back though and I always thought it a design flaw and has probably been addressed on later models. I bought and swear by my Morbark w Deutz Diesel , better feed system imo.

I'm currently using an Altec, I think a 1317 or something. What I don't like is the tiny upper feed roller being so small that the assembly above it sinks down several inches into the chute when the rollers are together. It make it a pain to get branches in there because they can't slide down into the rollers without getting hung up above the wheel. I wouldn't get one for that reason alone.

Deutz are some of my favorite engines for this type of application. For a period we had trouble with their first gasketed engines and the timing belt service intervals all is better now though. Feed systems are fickle and I preferred the vertical sprung feed drums of my Vermeer 1250 over any other. You could feed from any angle and it would align the material perfectly with little skill or previous knowledge of chippers. I would argue that this was a double edged sword and that teaching chipper safety was always important and the easy feeding could either allow you to be unfettered and focused on safety or the ease could lull people into a less aware state.

I'm happy to hear that you are pleased with the Morbark 1621. On the Big Island I used to see many big red chippers in base yards given up on because of inability to eject wet chips if I recall properly. One side of the island is wet. The saying goes "wen rain, RAIN" if you've never heard pidgin then it looses its meaning. What is a 1621, 16" capacity I presume. One of a couple of reasons I presume the small chippers going with "small" (600lbs dry no accessories) Perkins diesel is that belts have a HP speed limit, higher speed= shorter belt life too I suppose. Like boat propellers have slip and cavitation limits and at displacement speed lend themselves favorably to diesel torque. So off to Gates chart I go to see if there is a belt pully combo that can handle a 3200 rpm 74hp 123ft-lbs load driving a bandit 90 disc. There are also matters of diesel having a spread between peak hp frequently around 2200 rpm and peak torque around 1750-1850 that grunt keeps the auto feed systems working efficiently. I'm seeing promise here note the spread between peak hp and torque not to mention torque figures equal or better than the Perkins. Screenshot_20200814-194203_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
The Morbark 1621 is the former M15RX, 16" wide by 20.5" high throat opening, drum style chipper:

The operating RPM set at the factory was 2200 RPM, and the autofeed will stop/reverse when it goes down to 1850 rpm (adjustable from the panel). Works well on the hardwoods I primarily deal with here, but also does well on stringy/wet conifers and Asian weeds that I run into as well.

that thing sounds well speced. I think I saw 1 with a grapple loader on it 🤔. The guy said that he made it himself!

My $0.02, better to have a moderately priced mini and compatible chipper than a quite nice chipper.

What is the market you will serve? Will you need to haul-off or leave mulch in place?

I’ve got the same trees, but am in a urban/ rural market. Almost never haul chips because my mini will often move everything where it’s needed. Move chipper to the tree or wherever they want chips (often where my chip truck won’t go), move brush to chipper. Rinse, repeat.

I don’t remember when I last chipped into my chip truck...it’s more of a log and mini hauling truck with a chip body.

Every market is different!!

ps www.getchipdrop.com

Every market is different!!

Exactly, Sean.

I'm in mostly wealthy suburbia, and most here don't want the chips when I'm done. They are the easiest/cheapest to dispose of, so that is factored into job prices.

And I've got my mini now, which is helping to move the big wood I deal with on many jobs faster/easier to my dump trailer for disposal as well.

Extolling the virtues of wood chip mulch to homeowners usually turns the first-contact phone conversations plan to haul, into where to dump/ chip question by the end if the bid.
Lots of 5+ acre parcels with houses nestled in the forest, mulched bed, and small home orchard and urban gardens.
Don't know T's market, as he's based Way too close, ehem, way closer to Seattle, in a much more populated area.

Some markets, everything goes to the green waste dump.

I'd definitely want a big, hydraulic feed chipper, newer chip truck, if I always hauled, and stayed on hardened roads.

$eattle $uck$ but I may be moving to a lake near maple Valley if I can convince my wife. Nothing but gentleman farms, horse stables and trees. Soooo... Mini in the F350 chip box and bandit 90 in tow!?! Hey I'm modifying this thread to include minies. Yes Sena comms. are a priority also, excellent points, all. I hope you all dig the new title.

Last edited:
Duely noted alturna mats were frequently used by use in Hawaii too! They're not cheap to ship there either. If we were doing a demo on a heavy fiberglass boat we would keep flat sections of the hull. Worked until they failed then we would dispose of them for free at the transfer station. Hawaii was in many respects cheaper for me to live than $eattle certainly more profitable. Sad lesson to learn the hard way.

Bandit had a dealer in Portland.

Vermeer NW in parkland, wa., South of Tacoma.
But if you can wrench...

Morbark sorta has service in Tumwater.

Alturnamats in this climate.

Idk where has the best prices.
Been hearing and reading about alternamats for many years. Seen them a couple times but can't get past the price. A week ago I finally threw away 8 out of 12 sheets of plywood I bought 3 years ago. Bought 10 new sheets for $400 with tax. I built a rack with a tarp nailed to the back for storing them. Stack them on edge in the rack and pull the tarp over them to keep the rain off. Untreated lasts just as long as pt.

You're in flat land...a different market
Different when you don't need the traction, or to link sheets together.

I have a good supply of plywood, too.

Plywood doesn't seem to burn turf the same way.

Plywood is good as a spinning sheet. I use it at the chipper for machine-feeding.

What are you doing since leaving Hawaii?
When did you arrive?
I work as an apprentice in construction for the 3 years that I have been here since August 1st 2017. 12 months later my dad died. I moved here to be nearer him. He left Hawaii in search of better medicine. Alas it was all for not... He had amyloidosis a rare disease that in his case was caused by exposure to agent orange. A decorated recon airborne ranger. In country through the tet offensive. Bronze stars and purple hearts, but he never talked about it. My sister got his dd214. This is a picture of the man at 60, a humble giant. 619569990.jpg

Back