Chipper HELP! PLEASE!

ianwhite

TreeHouser
Hey everybody,

Was wondering if you guys could help me out with an issue I'm having with my chipper. It's a 2000, or 2001 bc1400. Ya, I know they suck. But, it's what I got. So here's the story and what I know. I'd be super appreciative if anybody can chime in with any ideas.

The other day it started just shutting itself off while running. I'm darn near sure it's electrical cause it runs good, when it's running. I'm thinking it's the coolant temp sensor. Here's why. If it shuts itself off and I let it wind down then immediately go to start it, it won't run for probably less than 30 seconds to 60 seconds. So...there's a panel/computer board type deal in the engine compartment. Basically all the wiring runs to this. It has a bunch of lights on it. For example it says (Forward enable), or (Fuel), etc.... One of the lights has the wording next to it where it says (OIL/WATER OK). So when it cuts itself off....If I immediately go to restart the motor, that light isn't on and it only runs momentarily before shutting itself off again. It's seriously like someone just shut the ignition off. If I let it sit for a while then go to start it, that light will be on and then it will run for 5 or 10 or 15 minutes.

I won't go through a bunch more unnecessary info. I'm assuming if someone knows what's up with this, or has been through this issue, then they don't need anymore info and will know exactly what I'm talking about and HOPEFULLY someone knows exactly how to fix it.

If there's anyone that could possibly help, I sure would be very very grateful! Any ideas/theories/previous experience is most certainly more than welcome!

Thanks a ton in advance. Sure do appreciate anyone taking the time to toss out some info!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You meaning the fuel filter/water separator I'm assuming?

New one on there. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. I headed that direction for a while too. But, the OIL/WATER OK light made me think otherwise once I noticed that correlation.

Also, doesn't run rough. Runs great, and then just totally shuts itself off.

Am I missing something that you're getting at?

If so, greatly appreciate you elaborating.

If not, then thanks anyway.

That's what I'm leaning towards doing. I guess I just thought that if someone has been through this exact same thing before, then maybe they wouldn't mind sharing their experience.

Would prefer to not throw couple hundred bucks and stupid high shipping to get the sensor if it's not going to be the definitive solution. And Yes, I know that couple hundred isn't shit in the world of repairs. Trust me, I know that all too well.

However, yes Squish. That's what my next step will be. Just lookin for any additional info anyone may possibly have. Thanks

And maybe that'll just fix her right up! Can always hope!

Didn't know if maybe there was a way to just bypass that sensor... I'm not real solid with electrical issues. Hell I'm not that awesome by any means with mechanical issues in general. But at least half way decent with diesel motors and hydraulics. Electrical.....not so much....

Also, I hope it's 110% clear that I am by no means unappreciative for any response. Even if it's something we've already gone through I still appreciate anyone taking the time to reply.

Hoping for the guy that has been down this exact path previously. That'd obviously make me super lucky, but worth a shot.

Thanks

Ok. Most simple temp sensors aren't too expensive. I guess if it's some sort of proprietary fancy thing it could be. Id have figured it to be cheap though.

Good thinking on trying to bypass it. I'd look to that route first if the sensor is very expensive.

Ok. Most simple temp sensors aren't too expensive. I guess if it's some sort of proprietary fancy thing it could be. Id have figured it to be cheap though.

Good thinking on trying to bypass it. I'd look to that route first if the sensor is very expensive.

Thanks. Guess I've never had issues with temp sensors before. Figured since it comes from vermeer it'll be way more expensive than it should.

I'll pull the sensor and see if I can cross reference it to avoid vermeer prices for, what I'm assuming is, a rather common perkapillar sensor.

Thanks Squish.

Just remember if that is what's shutting it down to make certain that the switch isn't working properly and you're actually running hot.

For sure. I'm confident that it hasn't been running remotely hot. It's been real cold here. Cold enough that none of the trucks have been shut off during the day. They go from plugged in, to working, and back to plugged in. Block and hydraulic heaters. Nothing's been hot, that's for sure! Worked in the worst weather I ever have last Sunday. Blizzard condition kinda stuff. And more importantly, I'm a bit overboard about watching gauges. So, I'm sure we are good there. Currently anyway. Will definitely keep that in mind if we go down the bypass road.

Thanks for chiming in.

You meaning the fuel filter/water separator I'm assuming?

New one on there. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. I headed that direction for a while too. But, the OIL/WATER OK light made me think otherwise once I noticed that correlation.

Also, doesn't run rough. Runs great, and then just totally shuts itself off.

Am I missing something that you're getting at?

If so, greatly appreciate you elaborating.

If not, then thanks anyway.
There are two filters. One "easy" filter that is out in the open and a "hard" filter behind the engine that is a royal pain in the ass to get to a filter wrench is a must.

Ian from the conditions you are describing I would be even more likely to think its a fuel problem. Maybe not bad enough to make the chipper run bad but enough to set of a sensor that there is water in the fuel. Is it possible that the fuel is gelling. The only new variable is the extreme cold so what has that effected

Thanks Paul! Appreciate the time you took to help. Especially considering that you recently had the same machine. I replaced the fuel filter the other day. But, you know as well as I do that temperature fluctuations can definitely cause some issues. I have put in the "Diesel 911" Preventative anti-gelling supplement. But, while I said it's been super cold, it's now getting unseasonably warm. I supposed that these fluctuations could over time cause some condensation issues. I'll look into addressing that.

Genuine thanks to everyone.

Paul, any thoughts on that damn "oil/water ok" light? Fluke? or is there a correlation there?

You mention a couple times replacing the fuel filter but flushcut(Rajan) mentions there's two. Have you replaced both?

You mention a couple times replacing the fuel filter but flushcut(Rajan) mentions there's two. Have you replaced both?

To my knowledge, mine only has one. It's the one that's located behind the thermostat basically. For lack of a better way of putting it anyway. It's kinda hard to get to.... You've got to climb up on the engine and reach into the "back" (i.e. farthest away from the tongue or truck towing it. It's got a collar and it's a bit of a pain in the ass. With that said, I need to check with the guy who typically does most of the maintenance stuff. It could be a situation where he changes that and I'm not even aware of it... I'd feel pretty stupid but that wouldn't be the first time. He usually takes care of that stuff on rain/wet days while I'm out doing bids/estimates/consultations. I'll check on that today.

Thanks

Do those machines have a high temp/low oil pressure shutdown devise on'em? Could be faulty if so.

Yep. I'm really not thinking that it's low oil pressure though. Since we replaced a whole lot of components a few years ago when the injector pump blew, it's had GREAT oil pressure.

Definitely thinking bout the high temp sensor.

Thanks

Anyone that can point me to where the coolant temp sensor is?

Talked to vermeer about it but got some pretty vague ideas. However, they've done everything they can do be as helpful as possible.

Oh! I see! Very real possibility. While I greatly appreciate that insight, I sure hope that isn't the case. Seems like that May get relatively complicated rather quickly! Thanks for your help

Back