Chipper Build Thread

Peter

Treehouser
I was looking for a new chipper, 8-10 inch capacity, on a turntable, 80-100hp.

Not finding what I was looking for I decided to build my own, with the aid of Ed, who built a similar machine for himself.

We took a Farmi pto chipper, and a 85hp Perkins diesel engine, and set about mating them on a new custom built trailer chassis.

The brand new turntable, just arrived.

Test fitting the chipper onto the turntable

Ed chopping off some redundant steel.

New engine arrived, in Claas green, fresh from a combine harvester.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Building the trailer chassis.

Test fitting the chipper again.

Matching up the shafts from engine to chipper

I machined a new keyway in pto adapter sleeve to go over the chipper drive shaft.

New pulley wheel mounted on chipper

I made a new key up to fit the new keyway.

Slightly messier machining on the engine shaft, did it with the shaft still in the engine....

Fuel and hyd tanks on, new light board, LED lights and custom aluminium chequer plate mudguards made and fitted.

I built an over centre clutch from scratch.

Remounted the hyd pump, new mounting brackets and adjuster, and new chain. 4 section SPB banded belt fitted.

Here she is behind my chip/log truck

In the transport position. New aluminium chequer belt/tank cover folded and TIG welded.

Aerial view off the top of my crane.

Few bits to do yet, but at least she's out earning money!

Pretty freaking sweet. The ingenuity of the people on here is just amazing. Nobody has what we want, we will just build it

How did you machine the shaft with it still in the engine?

Good question!

Mounted the milling machine on a rolling carriage if I remember correctly, it was a bit of a fiddle!

That sounds nuts!

Does your kboom basically fold flat so the chips fly over it and into the truck? Or do the chips fly by one side of the lower boom which stays up?

That's crazy! Who in their right mind would try to build their own equipment?!??!?!

Good job!

Pretty freaking sweet. The ingenuity of the people on here is just amazing. Nobody has what we want, we will just build it

Or have the money for it.

;)

That sounds nuts!

Does your kboom basically fold flat so the chips fly over it and into the truck? Or do the chips fly by one side of the lower boom which stays up?

Chip to one side of the king post. The chip goes under the cross bar, although I might fab up a taller spout so I can throw the chips over the top.

That is a mighty sweet set up. Can you feed the chipper with the kboom?

Yup. Turntable gives me 7 positions to run the chipper in, if i spin it round so the hopper faces the right way I can easily feed it with the crane.

Sweet, loved the pics, I didn't expect to see such a nice job, very pro

Thanks, it will be super smart when it's all finished. I'm going to build a complete engine housing in aluminium, and possibly respray the chipper black.

Looks great Peter. I like the fact the hopper is pretty low. Less lifting heavy stems to the roller.

I know, I know you have a crane for that. One day though it may come in handy.

What's the total weight?

Nice build on the chipper! Can we see more pics of your truck please, pretty please with sugar on top?

Back