Chipper belts?

squisher

THE CALM ONE!!!!
Ok, I had an issue yesterday were I tore up two of the five belts on my 250xp as well as glazed the remaining three up pretty good. What happened was the auto-feed didn't cycle/work and the chipper just crammed itself and drove it down to probably close to 1000rpm(from 2400 normal max running) and just chewed the belts before I was able to hop off the mini and reverse it with the bar.

Now y'all here are my only real connection to info on this stuff besides my own experience and this is my 1st driven feed chipper. So I have a few questions.

1. Would this only happen like it did because the belts were out of adjustment? To loose maybe so they chewed up and smoked instead of gripping and just dragging the motor down to a stall?

2. How long do belts normally last if adjusted properly?

3. Any tricks that any of you may have for adjusting them other than just sticking to the manual?

Thanks,

Justin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Around 1000, just under 1000 I think. I'm a fanatic about not running it when it's not working, so I've done well so far keeping the hours down I think. I've had it since new and snug the belts up periodically, more at first when they were breaking in but still a bit now and then but I just do it by 'feel' I don't have anything to measure the ft/lbs for 3/8"s of deflection like the manual calls for.

Did the drum stop? Kinda how it sounds to me, then the belts slipped. Are you running 5 individual belts? I would think that would run a banded belt...

They are five individual belts a 1000vx belt or something I believe without running out to check . The disc may have stopped, I mean I've never had any issue with the belts before this. I'm hoping that I don't have an auto-feed issue which would cause this to happen again. It was ugly and obviously happened pretty quickly. I got it reversed and just powered it down, smoke was everywhere!

Yeah, thats about the only thing that will make it slip belts bad all of a sudden. I would replace all the belts as the remaining ones will have heated up.

Yup I put all new ones on and because I live in Canada I also ordered a spare set with the replacements so if something happens again I won't have to wait even a day for parts. I've adjusted the new ones pretty tight to start as I expect they'll stretch a bit in the 1st hour or so of running. I'll be checking and moving a chipper motor around probably atleast once more tomorrow.

So the belts should last somewhat indefinetly if properly adjusted and you don't drive he disc/drum to a halt under full load?

I would venture to say 1500-1800 hours would be a good service expectation. Based on my experiences. Machine fed seems to be a little bit tougher than the occasional limb

Cool. Yah even with a mini-skid you can really punish the chipper at times.

Think of how you have to change a belt in your truck from time to time.
Heat, wear, oxidation...Time. It all takes it's toll.

Yah I hear ya, I think they must have been out of their prime for sure but I imagine they'd have lasted a fair bit longer if the auto-feed hadn't failed to stop the infeed. I hope I'm not starting a new thread about auto-feed tomorrow.

Around 1000, just under 1000 I think.

I don't have anything to measure the ft/lbs for 3/8"s of deflection like the manual calls for.

1000 hours stuffing it with a mini sounds like descent life.

How does the manual show the tension?
Is it a belt gauge? http://www.mcmaster.com/#belt-tension-gauges/=h60bbm
Or is just using a fish scale to pull down and use a straight edge to measure the deflection?

As a side note on high hours belts that become hardened you can get a little more life out of them if you squirt some belt dressing on them .

Also for those who don't know already on multiple belts you need to change them all at the same time in addition to purchasing matched sets rather than genericaly sized belts .They cost a little more but work out better in the long run .

A vee belt actually works because it deforms going around the pulleys .After a period of time the pulleys wear out .It takes a lot of hours before but it does happen . Browning probabely makes about the best industrial type pulleys on the market .They also make a very fine line of belts .

Peridically it's not a bad idea to check the pulley alignment also .Things can happen especially on a chipper causing the engine to slip out of line which will cant the pulley and cause premature belt wear .

1000 hours stuffing it with a mini sounds like descent life.

How does the manual show the tension?
Is it a belt gauge? http://www.mcmaster.com/#belt-tension-gauges/=h60bbm
Or is just using a fish scale to pull down and use a straight edge to measure the deflection?

The manual states to find the midpoint and then measure deflection. It should deflect 3/8" with 8-10lbs of force, if I'm remembering correctly. Seems like a fish scale would work so maybe I should get one and then I'd know I'm dead on. Obviously, as stated in the manual, to loose cooks the belts and to tight buggers the bearings.

Al some good advice there I always check pulley alignment at ever adjustment and obviously keep it quite accurate by adjuusting both sides of the motor the exact same amount. In my manual it states not to use belt dressing, but I can see what you're saying about it eeking out a little more life from some older belts.

Today went fine but I do have an autofeed problem. My autofeed will engage, reverse, but then it doesn't wait until it reachs the high rpm it just reverses and then starts feeding right away again and then won't stop again automatically. My manual has quite a section on diagnosing autofeed problems so I'm guessing I'll be busy this weekend sorting it out. Yee-haw, time to learn more about auto-feed then I ever really wanted to know.

I was going to mention the fish scale, but you beat me to it. I have used one while adjusting my Skidoo track for years. They work well.

I got one large belt on my Morbark 35hp 2060D, seems to be the way to go. I got around 1500 hrs on the unit now and I have never touched it, still as tight as it came out of the factory.

I think the Vermeers use a multi type belt .Costly rascals .

Toms' Morebark uses 4 or 5 single belts but those things aren't cheap either .

As far as generic belt tensioning specs you can Google the charts from the internet .You have to have a certain tension but too much like a bango string will only knock the engine and gear box bearings out .Like over tightening your fan belt and ruining the water pump bearings given enough time .

Oh put some never -seeze or grease on those engine bolts else you'll be like Tom with a 3/4" socket set breaking the rusty SOB's loose after they rust up tight as a bulls azz in fly time .Damned saw dust and chips are acidic and just play a tune on steel parts .It isn't any wonder the frames and spring shackles of bucket trucks fall apart after years of service .I'm not sure if salt would be any worse on stuff .

Back