cheap stainless steel

rumination

Migratory Hippie Arbolist
I bought a cheap stainless steel water kettle a few days ago and discovered that it gives the boiled water a horrible metallic/chemical smell and taste. I've tried boiling vinegar a couple times and baking soda couple times and the smell/taste has improved slightly but the taint is still there.

Is this just because it is low quality stainless (no markings saying what grade of stainless it is) or is there some residue machine oil from the manufacturing left behind? Any suggestions on getting it clean?

You would think that vinegar would clean any residue left from manufacturing. If lacquer thinner doesn't eliminate it, it must come from the steel itself. Replace with better goods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
After doing a couple more boils and rinses to no avail, I think I must agree. There's something wrong with this steel.

It's funny. Sometimes I'm adamant that only buying the best quality makes sense. And then sometimes I'm a total sucker for a cheap deal.:|:

My "stainless" kettle sucks too. Most of the so called stainless stuff I get seems like since it's got SOME stainless in it, they can market it as stainless.

Our stainless soap dispensers have a stainless tank on them and a nice rusty pump part. I should start bringing a magnet to the store when we get this stuff.

My "stainless" kettle sucks too. Most of the so called stainless stuff I get seems like since it's got SOME stainless in it, they can market it as stainless.

Our stainless soap dispensers have a stainless tank on them and a nice rusty pump part. I should start bringing a magnet to the store when we get this stuff.

Most stainless will be somewhat magnetic. I think you can gauge stainless by how much a magnet sticks to it. There is one form that is not magnetic.

Well, at the very least I'm getting an education on stainless steel. I'll keep the kettle and see if I can find some other use for it.

Haha, hopefully they don't mind an extra dose of heavy metals.

Back