Chain dispute

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
So I stroll into a Stihl/Husky dealer in another town a few days ago. Scoping the joint out. While there I said to the fella at the counter "Do you have skip tooth chain?" Yes. So I say I need a loop for a 32" bar. He gets the bar size and link count from me and gets to work spinning me up a loop. Hands it to me. Its square grind semi-skip. OK, good enough. I mention to him "Oh, that's square grind. Never used it before". He corrects me and says "That's full chisel". I correct him and say, "Yes, it is of course full chisel, but I am referring to the grind."

He tells me that contrary to popular belief, a flat top plate, with a 90ish degree angle down the side, does not refer to full or semi chisel. He says he went to a Stihl dealer workshop and they corrected everyone there and taught them the difference as soon as the workshop started. He INSISTED that the shoulder of the chain, be it 90 degrees or rounded, has nothing to do with that determines full or semi chisel. The grind determines that. I was like "You got it boss, ring me up". I wasn't going to argue. What the hell is Stihl teaching their dealers or was this guy just misinformed? Or have I been confused all these years? Id like to believe that at a minimum I know saw chain. I do use chainsaws here and there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I always shake my head when someone who is extremely misinformed tells you with such conviction "Let me explain this to you, as this is a common misconception". I just smile usually. Their desire to be right is often times greater then my level of care. But I will be honest, I questioned myself briefly, just in case I was actually that guy.

I buy square in RSLK or CL (cheaper usually) and just round file it once dull. Same cutter as RS and LG round.

C4f, I also buy RSLK and run it until I destroy it, then I file it round.:lol: I've always referred to the 90 degree stuff as full chisel, and the round corner as chipper. Square ground I call square chisel or square ground.

DS I call them RSLK CL square chisel and RS LG round chisel. Then I say full comp, semi, skip, with which chain Sq or Rd chisel, semi etc.

Most guys buying chain dont have a freaking clue IMO. I help them through it all with their blank stares.
They cant believe the difference in good chains once I set them up.

I'm not a dealer. I am a consumer that helps others out local.

Heck 99% of the dealers I stop in have no freaking clue either. :lol: I've had them ask me for info and help looking at stuff on the side at one. ;)

Sounds just as strange as the crap Blount/Oregon talk now about semichisel cutting bettr tgan full chisel.
Not sure what is going on but there is a lot of wrong info traveling way too high up the ranks...

Well it does cut dirt better, Magnus.
Why I always ran it for felling x-mas trees.

Haha!

When I bought my super duper new 150TC I asked if it took the same file as the 3/8P that is on my 200 or small pole saw chain...they ran about asking and the answer was 'yes', it was a very busy time at the show, so I left it, but I wasn't convinced because that chain is SO tiny. So I get home, read the catalogue and sure enough, it takes a smaller file, 3.8mm instead of 4mm, not a lot, but not the same.
Like going to the Doctor, you have to be your own advocate.

Haha!

When I bought my super duper new 150TC I asked if it took the same file as the 3/8P that is on my 200 or small pole saw chain...they ran about asking and the answer was 'yes', it was a very busy time at the show, so I left it, but I wasn't convinced because that chain is SO tiny. So I get home, read the catalogue and sure enough, it takes a smaller file, 3.8mm instead of 4mm, not a lot, but not the same.
Like going to the Doctor, you have to be your own advocate.
Very true.

I stopped buying loops of chain from dealers many years ago for this very reason. They just wanted to sell me what they had in stock and not what I wanted.

My local Stihl dealer will spin loops for free if you buy a spool. I pretty much run full skip chisel for 20" and up. I need to buy a spool. Just found out about this. They will get whatever I order.

That chain he sold you is my favorite of all chains ,the skip clears the softwood chips real nice ,the semi part makes limbing and boring smoother ,did the shop have the correct file to sharpen it with ? no reason to convert to round ,that ruins it in my opinion ,the file i use is a 6 sided flat file,that off the roll sharpen will cut ok for general use ,if you steepen the angles some with the flat file it will cut real nice ,once you figure out the right angle to hold the file it sharpens as fast as round ,you do have to sharpen from outside in though to get the corners right square file 11-8 008.jpg

Going round ground after the initial square is a lot easier for most people. I wouldn't let my groundie sharpen square, until round it super-dialed. Square grind used to be cheaper at Madsen's, but I think this may have changed.

Back