cell phones

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
The cell phone craze is like a disease on this island. New models come out just about every other day, and lots of folks just have to have them...very big competition for business amongst the makers.

They have instigated some laws where you can't drive when using them now, so people pull over, or very thoughtfully stop in the middle of the road to yap while blocking traffic, or else of course continue to drive when on the phone.

I see young couples at restaurants where each is looking at their phone and messaging most of the time......I dunno, it just seems strange...to this old guy....

What gets me most, is when I see folks looking at their phones when they are walking across busy intersections or parking lots, not paying attention to what is happening around them. I also see mothers walking with their child home from nursery school, all the while glued to the little glow.

I have one, but I'm not hooked into it like a lot of people with theirs. It seems like the darn things are corrupting people's minds, and they are loosing common sense, like a little' thing called survival.

The whole thing is a bit worrysome to me, as if society is going crazy. Is it like that where you guys live also?

I see it every day. I think some people have turned their phones on, and their brains off. :X

I had some idiot kid on a bike yacking on a cell turn left in front of my F350 just yesterday afternoon. I can assure you the plow probably would have cut him in half. :roll:

Cell phones are Darwin's friend. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Once, on my bike, after I was almost sideswiped by a car coming in the opposite direction down a narrow road, in broad daylight....the driver on the phone, I felt compelled to catch her and remind her of the world outside. :roll:

I tried to be nice about it, she apologized, but that's just the point, it's the everyday common nice folks, Joe and Sally, who are becoming slaves to the technology. How were they able to survive without them?

been to a wedding lately? I went to one this summer, out of about 100 people there I bet 20 watched the whole ceremony via the little screen as they were video recording the dealio on their cell camera. about 10 of them continued at the reception. ridiculous.

I have a track phone. Got it last summer 07, with 500 minutes and still have 150 left. I only use it to make calls. Otherwise I don't turn it on. Their handy devices, but people do get addicted to them. Shame.

I use my Palm quite a bit, but knowing when NOT to use it is more important I think.

same phone here, I use it a lot but I try to be intelligent about it. I use text messaging tons, I have my own rule that I have to be pulled over or stopped at a light to use it though.

I hate cell phones. I know one cell phone that Erik would like to run through a chipper.

I rarely test, but I use it on quotes to draft the proposal on site while I can still see what I'm getting into.

Yeah, would I ever.... case in point.... yacking on cell instead of cutting. Constantly!

I use the net and text alot on mine. Stays in the truck when Im at work. Good place for it.

Cell phones are very useful and handy for me. I have unlimited Internet access on mine for $19.99 a month. I have used it to check reviews on items in the store that I saw and was contemplating on buying, like my Canon MX700 printer. Saw it for cheap, needed a new printer, but wondered how good it was. I Googled it on my cell phone and reviews were pretty good so I bought it.

I have had cell phones since the early days when they cost well over a $1K and the size of a big city phone book. My first cell phone was $1390 and service was $55 a month with 30 minutes free. Each additional minute was 90 cents.

Back