Canyon Lands

gf beranek

Old Schooler
Our trip to canyon lands was fascinating. Terri and I enjoyed it so much.

We flew to Las Vegas early Saturday morning, rented a car and drove to Zion National Park. We were tramping the trails by noon. The air was pretty clear with a few wispy clouds in the deep blue afternoon sky. The color of the sky in combo with the colors of sandstone peaks and greens of vegetation made the landscapes totally awesome.

Most of the peaks in Zion rise straight up out of the canyon bottoms over 2000 feet. Some near 3000. The scale of the canyon landscapes was breath taking.

Though coming from the coast the altitude and the heat of that high desert environment just about stifled us. I don't normally drink much water, but I sure did there.

The mule deer, mountain sheep, and turkeys are all so tame you can walk right up to them. Hunting would be only too easy if it were allowed.

For the most part Terri and I stayed away from the crowds and went off on the less popular trails. Still the views are totally awesome.

I always heard that erosion is what formed all of these landscapes, but I never realized the full extent of it. When it rains every ditch, creek and river in this high desert flows sediment. Like concrete flowing out of a chute. Practically every culvert and ditch along side the road has to be cleared of sediment every time it rains. I had no idea of the shear amount of sediment flows that occur in this region before taking this trip.
And what an eye opener it was.

zion 001.JPG zion 002.JPG zion 003.JPG zion 004.jpg zion 005.jpg zion 006.JPG zion 007.JPG zion 008.JPG zion 009.JPG zion 010.jpg zion 011.JPG DSC06197.JPG

It'd be sweet to hollow out one of those foothills and turn it into a home. Beautiful country, no doubt!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One part of Zion that you seldom ever hear much about is Pine Creek. It's so much different than the main canyon itself. As it resides on the high terraces about 2000 feet higher. It's the swiss cheese topping to this park. The sandstone landscapes here look more like something out of a cartoon than real life. Every nook and cranny is just so different.

This is where Terri and I spent most of our time. The old classic balanced rocks on spires and contorted pines growing like Bonsai are everywhere. There is so much to see in pine creek and few people venture off road into it. And so the reason why we like it so much. The main canyon is awesome but pine creek terrace is out of this world.

pine crk 001.jpg pine crk 002.jpg pine crk 003.jpg pine crk 004.JPG pine crk 005.JPG pine crk 006.JPG pine crk 007.JPG pine crk 008.jpg pine crk 009.JPG pine crk 010.JPG pine crk 011.jpg pine crk 012.jpg pine crk 013.JPG pine crk 014.jpg pine crk 015.jpg pine crk 016.JPG

We went to Bryce Canyon next. Which again is awesome and takes your breath away. Quite literally actually. As the rim runs between 8 and 9 thousand feet.

The crowd at Bryce was about the same as being at 5th avenue in New York City. It was a big distraction to the beauty of the canyon. But we blended right in with the rest and I was able to get a few shots of the landscapes aw-natural.

The following day we went to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, but the smoke was so bad in the air you couldn't even see the other side. So that turned out being a Grand disappointment.

bryce 001.JPG bryce 002.JPG bryce 003.JPG bryce 004.JPG bryce 005.JPG bryce 006.JPG bryce 007.jpg bryce 008.JPG

Next to Zion is Kolab Canyon. Which isn't all that big in itself, but it is unique and just as beautiful as all the rest of the landscapes. We spent half a day hiking on the rim of this canyon. Terri biffed it, stubbing her toe on a knot and then falling. Breaking the orbit bone of her eye. Bruising her thigh and wrist to boot. She got up and finished out the hike though. After wards we drove up on the Kolab terraces. Which again is so completely different of the canyon itself.

kolab 001.jpg kolab 002.JPG kolab 003.JPG kolab 004.JPG kolab 005.JPG kolab 006.JPG

The desert landscapes can appear stark and hostile in places, but it is beautiful in its own right. And life abounds in it to boot. It was a most excellent trip and Terri and I are going back again. But next time in November or December when it's a bit cooler.

des 001.JPG des 002.JPG des 003.JPG des 004.JPG des 005.JPG des 006.JPG des 007.JPG

Youch to Terri...how's she doing?

Magnificent pics, Jer.

It can be a LOT cooler in December at the upper elevations, I hear.

The bruises are pretty much gone but her orbit is still pretty tender. And will be for a while. All in all she toughed it out pretty darn good. We both crossed our fingers that it wasn't any worse.

Becoming senior and falling down is the pits.

I took 1800 pictures in 7 days. It took a while to sort and cull them out.

Great pics, Jerr, really cool, musta been awesome hiking.

OMG, the orbital bone, that must hurt sooo bad. Feel better!

Wonderful pictures Gerry! Really like those perching rock ones with the lovely swirls in the rock.
Hope Terri is doing ok...my hubby had to have an operation when he broke his cheekbone, it was depressed and had to be pushed back out.

I hope you heal up ok Terri.

Great pictures Gerry. Some looked familiar, then I realised they made a lot of old western movies around there. 8)

I'm fine. Thanks for all the well-wishes. I have osteopororis and the thought of falling is really scary to me, which is why I always hike with a walking stick. The TSA wouldn't allow me to take my stick on the plane. I have since found out all I need is a Doctors note saying I have to have the stick to walk, which is easy for me to get. I was lucky this time, only cracked one little bone. Darn thing is still very sore but the black eye is almost gone. Like I said, I was lucky this time.

Strange, I've taken my walking stick or my cane on several flights...TSA just ran them through the scanner like anything else, never a problem.

Glad to hear you're doing OK, Terri.

Strange, I've taken my walking stick or my cane on several flights...TSA just ran them through the scanner like anything else, never a problem.

Glad to hear you're doing OK, Terri.

You must look old then - unlike Terri who obviously is too young to need a stick :lol::lol:

Back