Bathroom Renovation!

vharrison

Island Girl
We love watching the shows on TV about renovations, now we are in the mist of one. Ha, the shows always throws the home owner a curve when a wall is ripped off. No exception here. Got home Thursday night and the clear vapor sealer over the insulation showed what looked like mold in the insulation. We went to Home Depot, which is our only option on this island, and bought new insulation. I thought, okay, just replace the insulation and we are good to go.
Not. I got a call on Friday morning from the couple that is doing the redo saying the wood beyond the insulation is rotted. They don't replace wood, so I called our friend that does painting and such, and he is going to replace the wood today. He checked for a problem in leakage and found cracked blocks on the outside of the house. We will replace those.
Initially, were just going to tile the bathroom, end of story. Not to be, I got another call Friday asking me if I were a tub person, they had an idea. Yes, I am a tub person, John is not, but I am open to ideas. They had a great idea, totally reconfiguring our bathroom. I no longer will have a tub, but what they came up with will be awesome.The toilet is going where his shower was, the shower is going where my tub was, leaving us room for a double vanity. Instead of a shower door, they are going to build a glass block wall. It is going to be beautiful.
Oh, and the tile is so pretty. Ha, we were just going to tile it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gutted.

Attachments

• IMG_1484.JPG
    IMG_1484.JPG
    258 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1487.JPG
    IMG_1487.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1488.JPG
    IMG_1488.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 7
The tile we choose.

Attachments

• IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    288.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 8
:):) Old house folks call this the 'mushroom factor' - whatever you WANT to do, there are always at least a FEW other things that NEED doing first. I'm expecting a similar situation here as I'm putting in a Caribbean-style bathroom on my first floor. Too hard to keep a traditional bathroom clean with so many people in and out from the nursery. Looking forward to a bathroom that can be hosed down and squeegeed dry. And a wall-mounted toilet - also for easy cleaning. Floor drains are da bomb!

Hang tough, you'll love it when it's done.

I've never worked on a bathroom that didn't turn out to be a complete gut and re-do. Seems that's just the way it is.

I would recommend NOT re-using the old fixtures in the wall. While it is opened up, put in new. Last time I connected a sink drain to the pipe in the wall, the wall pipe crumbled. Might as well replace it too.

Just my .02

Nice Gigi, is that a granite slab? For the vanity?

No, that is just the tile. I will post a picture of the vanity we picked on Monday!

MB, no we are not doing it ourselves, we hired a young couple that knows tile. We know landscaping and tree work and will stick to that. :lol:

With a wall mounted toilet using a flush valve the average water system cannot supply enough water .The solution is a small pressure tank around 20 gallons using a check valve to prevent back flow into the system .

Do not attempt to hang a wall mount toilet using just the wall studding because sooner or later the studding will fail dumping you with the toilet on the floor .Best bet is to use the mounting fixture they are designed to use which is not cheap .

Ha stupidest thing I ever did in my life was at an auction of hospitol grade plumbing fixtures .Held my hand up too long and 80 dollars later became the proud owner of 26 wall mounted toilets .25 of them are residing in my building one is in the basement of my wifes' rental house .

Getting the film off those mirrors was a pain. My favorite part of the bath is the seat in the shower. Perfect for shaving your legs. Ha, I know ya'll worry about that!

Thanks Jay! Now we are looking at options for the floors in the rest of the house. We went to Miami today, to a place called lumber liquidator. They were having some special sale that turned out to be a farce as far as I am concerned. The prices were not what I expected, just too high. That and we don't know what we want really. I know what I want, carpet throughout the house. John wants wood but the dog will scratch it, so we looked at tile that looks like wood. Ugh, don't know what we will put down but we must do something.

MB, they are just sinks, honestly bought the vanity on line, sight unseen. We only had one sink in there before, the usual kind. John wanted a dual vanity so we can brush our teeth at the same time if we wanted to.

We learned alot doing this project, what ever you budget, double it!

that turned out really nice. my buddy figured he could tackle his own bathroom remodel. almost two years later hes still working on it. you were smart to hire it out!

I put a similar seat in our master bath for my wife to do just that. It seems to hold more bottles of stuff than anything else, but ... Nice work!

Back