ATV Instructor

Burnham

Woods walker
I handled two classes this week, one of newbies and one for recerts. It was lots of fun. It's really entertaining to see a young lady with zero experience go from putt-putting around the course at barely over walking speed to barreling through the weaves and sharp corners on three wheels, throwing gravel all over hell and gone, all in a few short hours. A great kick in the pants.

I took a few pics today myself. These are the recerts...hopefully I'll get some from those taken on Thursday that I'll be able to share later.

Attachments

• ATV training 008.jpg
    ATV training 008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • ATV training 009.jpg
    ATV training 009.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • ATV training 004.jpg
    ATV training 004.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • ATV training 002.jpg
    ATV training 002.jpg
    954.2 KB · Views: 12
  • ATV training 001.jpg
    ATV training 001.jpg
    915.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How did you land that gig, B?

One of the hats I wear in the service of your USFS :).

I'm trained and licensed as an instructor by ATV Safety Institute. The Forest Service paid the freight. ASI is the outfit selected by the FS to provide train-the-trainer certification for ATV use.

I instruct tree climbing, chainsaws, 4x4 operations, vehicle winch use, specialty vehicles (snowmobiles, ATVs, UTVs), utility trailer use, and forklift operation.

I don't do snowcats. I don't do helicopter operations any more, since the fire regs got so intense. In fact, I don't instruct any fire fighting related coursework.

Jack of, if not all trades, at least a wide variety.

Used to be in this outfit, a broadly skilled "field man" was the norm...but those days are gone. I'm one of the old school survivors.

Cool to see such diversification, Burnham. I also see that society has gone in a different direction from that, one reason being that human interest in things seems to have lessened. Perhaps a result of more high tech in our lives?

Back