Attitude is EVERYTHING.

But great motivational bumper stickers.
I'm thinking of having one made up.
Then I can put it on the truck, next to my: " If the rapture is today, somebody grab the steering wheel" one.

My wife gets frustrated with me because I don’t plan. I try to explain there is little point in planning as there are so many variables in my day to day that are beyond my control. Yesterday my big chip truck broke down. Today we didn’t do the high volume job that I thought I would because of that. If it rains it changes things, if a tree falls on someone’s house we do it . Consequently I’m a spur of the moment kinda guy!

It parallels with the motivational vid of the former marine trainer, put here a few days ago for the second time. It made me think ... A positive mind or way of thinking should be awesome to overcome the failed plans, but that's could be really hard to implement, given the circumstances.

Positivity is bollocks.

If I’m happy, I’m happy, if I’m pissed off, I’m pissed off.

I can’t fake or imagine myself positive.

Most of the people who bang on about how positive and happy they are (especially on social media) are usually bipolar or depressive in some way.

I have to agree with @Mick! on this “positivity” rubbish ... Many buy into this (bullshit) philosophy - they want to hear beautiful lies that make them feel everything is a ok and they needn’t stress over anything ... Some cunning individuals have made a small fortune exploiting others insecurities for their own selfish financial gain ... In fact , it is a billion dollar industry ... When feeling a bit blue I just go cut / split some wood - amazing what some humble labor will do for your mood - no pharmaceuticals needed

Last edited:
Define "positivity". Being artificially happy is bullshit, but what's the outlook to adversity? A "positive" approach, is acknowledging life sucks, settling down, figuring a way around the problem, and keep on keeping on. A "negative" approach is accepting defeat before all options have been explored, and time has run it's course. Being happy all the time isn't realistic, but one can be positive without being explicitly happy.

2471.jpg

It’s the artificially happy thing that I’m talking about.

That ex marine who was always saying ‘good’ to adversity got on my tits.

What he should realistically have said is ‘goddammit!’ A few times then ‘oh well, better sort this out’

Interesting, Mick, re 'the ex marine', referring to the Jocko 'Good' vid. Everyone has their own take but IMO, Jocko is one of the last folks on earth who would likely be labeled as promoting artificial happiness. He's been deep in 'the shit' many times over and the current leadership seminars he runs are based on what worked and what didn't work re leadership and attitude under some of the most brutal conditions and scenarios available to the human condition.

That's my take anyway. You should check out some of his podcasts, you might enjoy something there, he has a lot of traction with a lot of folks

I find the whole...self improvement thing a crock.

I'd like to hear more about your views on that, if you care to.

Lol, I'm kinda a self improvement type guy, my wife hates that stuff

Back