Anyone using Linux now?

sawinredneck

Treehouser
Vista is leaving me cold! It's one fiasco after another! Now and again the screen just flashes as it refreshes itself. IE crashes three times a night, just locks up, have to start task manager and manually shut it off. It will no longer open files with Windows media player, you have to right click "save target as" to getvides to play. Lots of crap to go through and delete.
It has been an ongoing thing. And there is no suprise "Uncle Bill" and I share no love.
So I am looking at Linux as a new O/S. Any users here? Good thoughts, bad thoughts? Can a semi retarded computer user as myslef survive the change over?

We run Linux here. It has some oddities, for sure, but overall pretty happy. The in house tech support refuses to support windows anymore.

We have Ubunta on one of the computers... It is free and works great.. Not hard to learn either. Down side of any linux is media type program support... Do some research to see what will work if you do any special media type work (videos etc.) or any special programs you might need. Also... you can partition your C drive and use both windows and linux (one at a time) just by telling your computer what op system you want it to boot up from start up... This feature allowed us to learn linux while still being able to work windows for day to day while learning. We run XP however. SO as far as how to set that up in Vista... I would be at a loss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have Ubunta on one of the computers... It is free and works great.. Not hard to learn either. Down side of any linux is media type program support... Do some research to see what will work if you do any special media type work (videos etc.) or any special programs you might need. Also... you can partition your C drive and use both windows and linux (one at a time) just by telling your computer what op system you want it to boot up from start up... This feature allowed us to learn linux while still being able to work windows for day to day while learning. We run XP however. SO as far as how to set that up in Vista... I would be at a loss.

I am downloading Kubuna right now, it's supposed to have most things built in. I can use Firefox or Opera for browsing, I use Opera mini on my phone and love it! I think I can get Fedora for email. I am just going to try bootin from CD for now. I'm not ready to give up what kinda works for the unknown yet!

Cursed is right on it.....be sure your programs will work with it. My new Dell came with Vista; they didn't tell me that Vista was not backwards compatible. Some of the programs I had learned to use with XP will NOT work with Vista...sometimes you can "trick" Vista into working, a special process available thru Vista, but it does not always work.

If I converted the Vista to XP then my new high falootin' monitor wouldn't work.

Vista screwed me. Maybe the new Windows (7?) will correct the snafu.

Windows is rarely Windows compatible since 98 and XP.. LOL
The problem with linux is that it is being developed in many different forms as an open source program/software.. So the other programs that are supposed to work with it are as varied as the different versions of the operating system.. One program may work with one version and not another.. They are starting to pull them all together just because its a serious thumbing of the nose at Microsoft.. Now with Vista.. it is a deliberate move on Microsoft's part to control what you use with it. More money in their pocket from licensing and copyrights. Other software builders pay for the right to have their software work with the Microsoft product. Vista is the extreme thus far of this practice. Certain programs I use I can not run on Vista because they are not licensed to run on Vista.. And I would even have to give up some of my hobbies (singing) as they have nothing compatible. Linux also is a problem for my hobby (s) as the programs are not up to snuff yet. Linux rocks for business though :)
My other problem with Vista is basically what I feel is a BIG BROTHER ploy by Microsoft and the copyright police in the media industry... NO ONE and I mean NO ONE should be able to disable my computer because I need or want to run something that I use to my benefit or personal use.. Sue me if you want, but don't you dare turn off a system that I built or bought with my hard earned money. If you can tell what I am running in MY computer and be able to effect MY computer, then you have too much access to MY computer. That to me is an infringement on personal rights..

Sorry Ranting...

It's well know I'm a Mac fan. But I been looking at the new netbooks with linuk on it.(Bath room & living room web surfing). I've talk to my I.T. guy who said it way more stable them windows. That is why most network severs run linux Or Unix. But gear more for computer geeks when trying to fix things. I still would like to play with it. The Mac os is a Unix base software.
check this out http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000575.htm

Back