Anybody run a Service Body, or odd truck, like an old ambulance, or box truck?

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
I'm trying to figure out what can be a useful, affordable replacement for my pick-up, with some chip hauling capacity, and towing capacity. Currently, I have a 1990 F600 with an 11' southco box and man-cab (which I wonder what it would take to convert to a partially enclosed mini platform), and an SUV for bids.

I would like something sorta as a back-up to my F600, so that if/ when I have a problem, I can safely and legally haul/ tow my mini and chipper/ trailer. I can't work up to a dump trailer with this pick-up.

Turning the gears in my head...

I've wondered about a service body with a chip box, which would also transport my mini and chipper.

My thought is that buying a purpose-built tree truck means its been run by tree guys, and beat up by tree guys.

An ambulance with all the outside boxes and lights, maintained as a life-saving vehicle, with room for mini inside (with reinforcement, I'd guess) or chips (groundie to empty, load handler, sliding-out chip tray (hook to stationary object and drive away)...

A box truck with door on the side, divided into tool in front, chips in back...

Saw a 3500 with a Ferrari loader, locally. Guy is moving in two weeks. Seems that even with the small kboom, the hauling capacity may not be very much for the bed of the truck. Guessing its a dually. Ad doesn't show/ say.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4862975324.html

Thoughts?

Seems like a typically 1-ton dually is what many contractors are after, and the price is artificially high. Better money in a F450/ F550/ f600, it seems.

I was just going to say that I've seen service bodies with dump inserts. I think they would be awesome tree trucks. I have thought of getting a service body 3/4 ton to replace my 2500 Gmc pickup when the time comes. I think they would be very versatile.

I wouldn't even entertain a service body/chip combo unless you're talking a 550 class truck. On a one ton rig you'd be at max weight with just the body combo and a saw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What is a typical payload capacity for a "1-ton" dually, cab and chassis? Any ideas? A flatbed is lightest, after a pick-up bed, right?

Something bigger is what I need. Another something like a F600 would be under CDL, so anyone can drive it, and might have a bed that can carry 16' mill logs. Carrying capacity matches up now with having a loader, for more money making capacity. I have a home-site land clearing bid with nice alder logs ($1000/ 1000 b-f, for best quality). Export quality, 26-40' doug-fir is $650.

Another bid with big maple logs, craned out. If I could stop paying for hauling, I'd be more into getting out log-lengths, and selling. I don't know if the log yard machine (don't know the name-- looks like a forklift with two 'grapple' arms that reaches around a log truck and lifts up and out) could lift off a truck with dunnage.

An f-350 is what? 11 something? With any kind of combo tool/chip body you'll be flirting with 9500-11,000 very easily.

Lots of guys around here run one tons as their main chip trucks. When we were looking at getting a new chip truck then only one that made sense, capacity wise, was a 550. Even a 450 with a chip body was going to essentially be over loaded with a full load of chips, gear, and a small chipper. That's legally speaking. I used to work at a place that only had one ton steak beds and we always loaded them up as full as possible and never had any problems with the truck being able to handle it.

I'll suggest bigger than a one ton. You could also have the suspension beefed up and pay more for your plates to up your payload. You plate them higher than the manufacterers gvwr if you want any type of payload. My 550's gvwr is like 19000 but I plated it for 28000. With a load of chips I scale about 24500

Treebilly would you mind telling us the process to get "plated" for 9K over GVW on your 550? Idea of costs? And then is only purpose to prevent getting over weight limit tickets?

Sean speaking to your OP I have been thinking of getting a 550. To keep it affordable I was thinking of seeing what the auctions have to offer in 550's with utility bins and buckets. The market for 25 foot bucket trucks has got to be limited, so that would keep the price down a bit. I would just strip the bucket off and scrap it or whatever. Then I see they make dump inserts (and alum. ones at that) that will fit in those utility bodies?

Plus, bonus, most of the PG&E trucks I see running around here are 4x4.

Commercial trucks are plated by weight. The only reason is to keep from getting overweight tickets. You can plate a vehicle for more than it can handle if you want. As long as DOT gets their money they're happy. When I registered for plates they asked my weight and I told them what I wanted. At least that's how it works in Ohio. Also in Ohio we don't need a cdl for combination wieght if the towed vehicle has a gvw less than 10,000

My first 2 chip trucks were 1 tons with 15 yard boxes. If you are on a budget, they work. August is still rolling in one of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How much police presence there? I5 here and Medford. State Capitol here, with a Washington state patrol academy.

Haven't heard about a lot of enforcement, but my friend got pulled over for weight once with logs.

I've owned a few one ton dumps. And an 89 Superduty. They'll take it. But don't you dare get in an accident while you're overweight.

What is a typical payload capacity for a "1-ton" dually, cab and chassis? Any ideas? A flatbed is lightest, after a pick-up bed, right?.

In my opinion, about 4,000-4,500lbs. Totally subjective to the year and make. Subtract empty weight from GVWR. It can be hard to get a straight answer from manufacturers or dealers. I think my 1985 K30 weighs about 6500# empty and GVWR is 11,000#. The tires will carry more than the frame is made to. 6 x 3000lbs per tire roughly=18,000. Pickup beds are very light, but one could also fabricate a flatbed just as light, using thin steel or aluminum.

Last edited:
Back