Akimbo on Hyperclimb

Yes, it’s lovely. I don’t remember my settings on the Akimbo, but I can check.

The Akimbo plays nicely on a rope that’s broken in some. Wash it, climb MRS on a natural crotch, maybe drag it around the driveway. It sucks on brand new, shiny, waxy rope, and I wonder how many folks bought themselves an Akimbo and a brand new rope to go with it and got frustrated with their purchase.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Awesome info fellas. I’m dragging my feet on the akimbo. I’m cheap. My Unicender is a good device amd works fine. Don’t wanna spend the money. It’s on sale though. What the hey. It’s getting ordered tonight

Yeah Jonny, if you know the settings it would be a good place to start. I’m between 175-185 lbs depending on what I’m doing up there. Are you close to that?

In my experience, the settings will always be just a starting point, with the Akimbo. Lots of factors will dictate adjustments as you go...moisture, rope wear, dirt or pitch in the host rope, weight of climber changing as gear needs do...probably others as well.

The great thing mitigating this with the Akimbo, is that with this device is so easy to make little changes as your workday progresses.

Ordered!! Jonny, you mentioned that worn rope is preferable to newer. Got me thinking. I can’t say that my ropes wear evenly. The middle section of my 200’ will not have the wear that the ends do. I alternate ends between climbing leg and basal anchor end. Has anyone experienced any negatives (slippage or binding) due to uneven rope wear? I’m sure pitch spots would cause binding but I’m not in too many softwoods.

A small dab of pitch can lock hard the Akimbo. The upper cam is like glued and by the way it works, it can't let go the rope.
The fatter part of the used rope gives more drag but not enougth to lock you. I get some slippage on the well worn part of the rope because my Akimbo begin to be well worn too, and both of my used ropes tend to flatten, increasing the issue (even less working diameter than just what the wear alone gives). A little humidity or a slight cloud of pitch dust reduce temporaly the issue. I really have to work on it.

Last edited:
I figured I’d use the Unicender on my blue moon for soft woods and the akimbo on my Hyperclimb for hardwoods. That’s the current plan to deal with pitch.

I have been in very few conifers. The Unicender on srt with pitch has been fine. Only used it in 3 conifers though.

On the topic of the akimbo, what is the best method of cleaning it? Tried to find something from rock exotica and I couldn’t. Just got a new akimbo from my boss yesterday and about to start breaking it in

I’ve sprayed mine with WD40 then blown it all off with an air compressor, then wipe it dry with a paper towel.

Works well for me, but might leave some joints a little damp, which could attract dirt and dust. I don’t live in a very dusty area, but sometimes with saws, chippers, and stump grinders going on a warm dry day, we make our own dust.

Decent air compressor alone works well for loose dirt, but some kinda solvent helps for pitch/ sap.

I have some of the sapzapper as well. Might put the akimbo in a pine tree and see how it acts then try that product on it and see what happens. Just got my rope runner pro in the mail today so now I two brand new srt tools to train and tune 😁😁😁

During a tree stuff webinar with Sampson ropes, their engineering department said it was OK to clean their ropes with fuel oil mix.

The ropes are plastic and gasoline is stored in plastic containers was one of their responses to the trepidation of Nick Bonner.

Plus it leaves the oil which catches all the crap and dust. I guess it can be used to save the day but don't make it an habit. I"d wash the rope after that.

Pulled my rope past all the pitch after releasing it. Let myself down a ways with my flip line weighting back into the Akimmbo and double check if I can release for descent. Once confirmed, I unclipped the flip line and came down. If that had not worked, I would have had another rope sent up to me after trying to use my tail instead.
All else fails, I have a fig 8 on my saddle at all times. I could have just stayed on my flip line and added the fig 8, unclipped the Akimbo and come down the same line. or tail for that matter. I was on basal tie. Easy to retrieve rope and gear doing that.

I have also used the tail of my rope and just set it ddrt with a Blakes and come down that way. Having enough rope of course. Had a prussic lock up that time in a white fir.

Back